Tullow Oil has indicated that it plans to end its routine shutdowns on the Jubilee FPSO by the end of this year.
The London-based oil firm expects to shut down production from its Jubilee field offshore Ghana three times during 2018 to enable the completion of the FPSO repair works.
According to Mr Awotwi, there would be two more shutdowns this year, one in May and the other in December, which should bring works on the Turret Bearing to an end by end of this year.
An issue with the turret bearing of the Jubilee FPSO Kwame Nkrumah, which resulted in the need to implement new operating and offtake procedures, utilizing a dynamically positioned shuttle tanker and a storage vessel, was identified in February 2016. Tullow, as the operator of the field, has been working since then to solve it.
In its operational update on Wednesday, January 10, 2018, Tullow said that preparations continued in advance of the planned turret bearing stabilization work in the first quarter of 2018.
According to the company’s update, this work is expected to take place over two shutdown periods, totalling four-to-six weeks.
A further planned shutdown of approximately three weeks is expected around year-end 2018 to rotate the FPSO to its permanent heading.
Developments at TEN
Tullow expects 2018 gross production from the Jubilee field to average 75,800 bopd (net: 26,900 bopd), which takes into account the planned shut-downs associated with the turret remediation work.
The production manager of Tullow, Graham Guy, said “TEN came on stream with thirteen wells and there was a restriction but we are now out of that. Over the last couple of months, we’ve been drilling two new wells.”
According to Mr Guy, Tullow looks forward to new wells law to allow the company to fully utilize the facility.
He said there’s an aspiration of 200 barrels as Jubilee is a capacity of a hundred and twenty thousand barrels a day and production figures on jubilee today are a hundred and four thousand.
“So we’re not far away we can enjoy a good period of journey and if we can find the right places first then I’m sure that before the year would end hopefully we would be contributing two hundred thousand barrels more,” he added.
Graham Guy said the shutdown has become necessary in order to ensure that the systems are depressurized.
In its 2018 Trading Statement and Operational update, Tullow announced that it has secured the Maersk rig which commenced drilling in February. The rig, according to the company is being used across the TEN and Jubilee fields and has been contracted for up to four years with favourable early termination provisions.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Kasapreko, Tetra Pak launch new automated carton aseptic juice line
- MASLOC boss grabs multiple awards
- Mobile Network Operators challenge NCA fine
- The greed factor in investment decisions
- Societe Generale sells South African unit to ABSA
- NPA denies allegations of ‘reckless victimisation’ of local LPG operators
- Mobile telephony: State-operator relations - A land to clear
- Bill Gates: The best investment I’ve ever made
- Mining leases without ratification: ‘Prosecute’ past ministers – Dr Manteaw
- Vodafone tops nominations for IPR's 7th National Communication & PR Awards
- Key African Central Banks to hold rates on CPI, oil prices
- China's growth set to slow to 6.3% in 2019
- GRA to introduce new measure to control transit trading
- Moody’s lauds banking sector reforms
- Tullow targets drilling, completion of works on new wells in this year