Audio By Carbonatix
Confederation of African Football president Issa Hayatou has "categorically rejected" allegations of World Cup bidding bribery.
Accusations were levelled against him on Tuesday as the British
parliament conducted an investigation into England's failed 2018 World Cup bid.
Along with Ivorian Jacques Anouma, the Cameroonian was accused of taking $1.5m to vote for Qatar's 2022 World Cup bid.
Hayatou described the allegations as "pure invention" on the Caf website.
The claims emerged through evidence submitted by the Sunday Times newspaper as part of a parliamentary inquiry.
Hayatou's rejections of the allegations also cover the accusations that the Caf chief took money to vote for Morocco during the 2010 World Cup bidding process.
South Africa won the right to host those finals, beating North African rivals Morocco and Egypt in the 2004 vote.
"This kind of reporting - to create and propagate false information to destroy his reputation, leadership and integrity - will not succeed," the Caf statement read on its website.
Caf's online portal further stated that the Qatari 2022 bid committee had paid some $1.8m to sponsor Caf's General Assembly in January 2010.
Hayatou also responded to allegations that stated that Guinean Amadou Diallo, said to work for the Qatari bid, was the Caf president's 'chief assistant'.
"Diallo is not a 'charge de mission' (chief assistant) for Mr Hayatou," Caf explained.
African football's ruling body added that the possibility of pursuing legal action has not been ruled out.
"The Caf president is ready to cooperate with whosoever would like to investigate the accusations and reserves the right to seek legal redress against those propagating this campaign of denigration."
On Wednesday, Fifa contacted both the FA and The Sunday Times requesting evidence on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup claims.
Fifa president Sepp Blatter has already said he will forward any evidence received to Fifa's ethics committee in order to assess whether any wrongdoing has been committed.
Four other executive committee members - Jack Warner, Nicolas Leoz, Ricardo Teixeira and Worawi Makudi - were accused of 'improper and unethical' conduct on Tuesday.
The allegations were made by former FA chairman Lord Triesman.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
29 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
33 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
57 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
1 hour -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
2 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
2 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
4 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
6 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
6 hours