Audio By Carbonatix
Two of African football's most powerful men have been accused of taking bribes related to Qatar's 2022 World Cup bid.
Confederation of African Football (Caf) president Issa Hayatou and executive committee member Jacques Anouma were reportedly paid US$1.5m by Qatar.
The accusations were made by British MPs at the culture, media and sport committee in the House of Commons.
MP Damian Collins said the evidence against the Fifa pair was submitted by the Sunday Times newspaper.
Collins said: "The Sunday Times' submission, and this is to be published by us later, claims that 1.5million dollars was paid to Fifa executive committee members Issa Hayatou and Jacques Anouma who went on to vote for Qatar."
Hayatou, a Cameroonian, has led Caf since 1988 while Ivory Coast's Anouma has been on the confederation's executive committee for the last four years.
The information submitted to British lawmakers also claimed that Qatar, who won the right to host the 2022 World Cup, employed an African fixer with close connections to Hayatou to arrange deals for votes.
"In Cairo, [former Fifa Secretary General Michel] Zen Ruffinen introduced the reporters to an acquaintance called Amadou Diallo," read the statement.
"Zen Ruffinen claimed that Qatar was using Diallo to arrange financial deals with the African members in exchange for World Cup votes.
"Further inquiries established that Diallo had been employed by the Qatar bid and was also the "charge de mission" (chief assistant) to Issa Hayatou."
The ethics committee of football's world governing body last year banned Nigeria's Amos Adamu and Tahiti's Reynald Temarii after a Sunday Times investigation into World Cup bidding.
Adamu, who denies the claims, was banned for three years after he was caught seeking bribes from undercover reporters and has now taken his case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
The latest developments mean no fewer than eight executive committee members - one third of the total of 24 - have either been alleged to have been or already found guilty of impropriety in relation to the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids.
Source: BBC Sport
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
47 seconds -
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
30 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
34 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
58 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
1 hour -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
2 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
2 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
4 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
6 hours