The weak performance of the Ghana cedi to the dollar as well as inflation impacted negatively on the Ghana Stock Exchange (GSE), as the Accra Bourse lost about ¢748 million in market capitalization in 2022.
The GSE market capitalization stood at ¢64.49 billion in December 31, 2021, but ended 2022 at ¢63.74 billion.
In cedi term, it lost -12.37% return for investors. But it recorded -27.4% return for investors in dollar term at the end of December 2022.
Comparing the market performance within two years (2021 and 2022), the GSE recorded 27.55% gain.
The 2022 performance was far behind the 2021 achievement where it was the second-best-performing stock market in Africa.
The capital market suffered in 2022 from the difficult economic environment.
For the Financial Stock Index, the market recorded -4.61% for investors.
15 stocks lost value in 2022
Meanwhile, 15 stocks lost value in 2022, compared with eight gainers.
The biggest loser was Unilever Ghana which lost 34.13% in stock value to sell at ¢3.88 per share.
Some other losers were PBC (-33.33%), CAL (-25.29%), Fanmilk (-25%) and GCB (-24.81%). They traded at 2 pesewas, 65 pesewas, ¢3 and ¢3.94 per share respectively.
The biggest gainer in 2022 was, however, SIC insurance (287.50%), ending the year with a stock price of 31 pesewas per share.
Other gainers were Trust Bank Gambia (135.29%), Access (27.30%) and BOPP (7.65%).
- Armed police officers and soldiers clash in Accra central as traders run for their lives
- Mohammed Kudus not eligible to play at 2023 U-23 AFCON
- Fuel prices to fall between 2% and 9% from April 1
- MP dies after hit-and-run motorcycle crash
- The stories of slavery must be told – US Vice President after visiting Cape Coast Castle
- Social media reacts to Bagbin’s rant on Kamala Harris and Akufo-Addo’s LGBTQ+ comments
- Students have still not reported to school despite free SHS – Ashanti Region GES
- Ernest Kobeah pulls out of NDC flagbearership race
- U-23 AFCON 2023Q: Ghana seals qualification with victory over Algeria
- Radio presenter recounts stealing church money to buy heroin, cocaine
- ECG to disconnect Ho Teaching Hospital, Ho Municipal Hospital over arrears
- Video: How man used bare hands to rescue trapped gold miners in DR Congo
- McDan’s Salt Company disconnected from national grid over GH¢300k debt
- How climate change impact on fisheries is pushing artisanal fishers into IUU fishing in Ghana
- Ashanti Region records 181 maternal mortality in 2022
- Ghana Airlines will be operational by June this year – Transport Minister
- Africa should focus on digital economy and innovation – Kamala Harris
- Parliament decriminalises attempted suicide
- Kamala Harris hails immense impact of medical drone delivery in Ghana
- Black Stars team manager clarifies André Ayew teamsheet error against Angola
- Kamala Harris in Ghana: The US Vice President and the arts
- There’s still political interference in Ghana’s chieftaincy institution – Akyem Bosome Omanhene
- Old boy, DRW donate laptops to Mfantsipim
- Kamala Harris announces over $1bn investment into economic empowerment of women in Africa
- Ghanaian achieves outstanding results in global Finance and Accounting exam