A light aircraft carrying almost half a ton of cocaine crashed in central Mexico after a high-speed airborne chase with authorities, and two people aboard died, the defense ministry said on Wednesday.
Mexican military helicopters intercepted the plane in Mexican airspace and pursued it for hundreds of miles until it ran out of fuel and crashed in Botija, Queretaro on Monday, the ministry said in a statement.
The plane was loaded with about 400 kilograms (880 pounds) of cocaine, the ministry added.
In recent months a number of business jets have crashed or been abandoned in Central America and southern Mexico in an apparent uptick in aerial smuggling.
Monday’s crash came less than two weeks after a business jet reported stolen in Mexico crashed in a Guatemalan jungle near a hidden airstrip, leaving two men dead near an onboard stash of drugs and weapons. It had made a mysterious trip to Venezuela.
- Four charged for violating restrictions on public gathering at Christ Embassy ‘Pneumatica Night’
- What is the big deal? – Brigitte Dzogbenuku on WGHS refusing to let students fast
- Police secures restraining order against #FixTheCountry protest on May 9
- I had sex with a goat, masturbated 6 times a day – Male victim of sexual abuse recounts
- Mahama Ayariga acquitted, Opuni ordered to open his defence
- Our job is to fix problems; we are fixing them – Bawumia
- #FixTheCountry: We’ll use the courts to set aside order against May 9 protest – Economic Fighters League
- Dominic Ayine questions independence of judiciary
- Government declares Thursday, May 13, as public holiday to mark Eid-ul-Fitr
- Methodist Church stands by its objection to GES directive to let Muslim students fast – Bishop of Northern Accra Diocese
Punter wins ¢47,000 bet with Betika
God is a woman; my new song highlights power of women – Eno Barony
Childish Gambino sued by rapper over alleged ‘This Is America’ copying claim
GHAMRO wins copyright case against telcos
Federal grand jury indicts four former Minneapolis police officers in George Floyd’s death
Water project to benefit 13 communities takes off at Ketu South
Hassan Tampuli engages contractors to begin dredging of dams in Gushegu Municipality
Missing ‘okada’ rider found dead in the bush
Thousands of cockroaches released in restaurant to settle debt dispute
Muslim worshippers attacked with eggs and stones outside London mosque
Keep an eye on house helps to curb sexual abuse – Victim of childhood defilement advises parents
UMAT invents new technology to clean polluted water bodies
MTN Foundation donates PPEs to St. Gregory Catholic Hospital
#FixTheCountry protestors counter injunction with #NameAndShame campaign on social media
Singer Sefa reacts to Sam Jonah’s comment that current songs do not inspire