The government in Congo-Brazzaville has denied reports of an attempted coup against President Denis Sassou Nguesso, who has been in power for 39 years.
It follows rumours on social media that the military had been trying to oust the 79-year-old leader, who is currently in the US attending a UN summit with other world leaders.
“The government denies this fake news,” Information Minister Thierry Moungalla posted on X (formerly Twitter) on Sunday, saying he wanted to reassure members of the public they could “go about their activities calmly”.
The government’s website also posted a statement denying the coup attempt reports.
There has been a wave of coups across Africa in recent months, mostly recently in neighbouring Gabon, where the military seized power in August.
Mr Sassou Nguesso rose to power in the oil-producing central African country in a military coup in 1979. He lost Congo’s first multi-party elections in 1992 but regained power in 1997 after a civil war.
The Congolese leader is the third-longest serving president in Africa, after Equatorial Guinea’s Teodoro Obiang Nguema and Cameroon’s Paul Biya.
- Premier League: Darwin Nunez helps fire Liverpool to win over West Ham
- One injured in gas station fire at Katamanso
- Premier League: Watkins winner piles more misery on 10-man Chelsea
- Premier League: Arsenal and Tottenham play out thrilling derby draw
- Playback: The Law discusses how to avoid contempt of court
- D-Black’s TV show, Uncut, hits the screens in November
- Leaked tape scandal: Supt. George Asare invites 3 witnesses to testify against IGP
- Radio Ada journalist on trial over publication of fake news about McDan is dead
- Kwame Dadzie: Our celebrities should stage ‘demo’ on creative arts matters too
- Tigst Assefa smashes world marathon record in Berlin, Eliud Kipchoge achieves record fifth win
- Ebenezer Owusu writes: Things are not the same anymore
- It’s difficult doing business in Ghana, 21.9% tax on hospitality businesses harsh – D-Black
- Prof. Stephen Adei partners Chirano Gold Mines to roll out Innovative Literacy Program for local communities
- Democracy comes with rights and responsibilities – Enam Akoetey chides #OccupyJulorbiHouse organisers
- Dr UN Award incredibly stupid; I can’t believe I fell for that nonsense – D-Black