Canadian rapper, Drake surprised his fans with a new album he calls ‘Honestly, Nevermind.’
It is a 14-track project released on Friday.
For his Ghanaian fans, it was a double surprise for them.
On Track 6, ‘Calling My Name’, Drake sampled a beloved popular song from one of Ghana’s best musicians alive, Obrafour.
The Grammy award-winning rapper sampled ‘Oye Ohene’ which features Tinny and was produced by Da Hammer.
The sample is found at 0:53 seconds of the Drake tune, where it transitions into a house music vibe sending the song into a different type of ambiance compared to its initial trajectory.
“Killa cut!” is the chant heard multiple times.
That part was sung by Mantse Aryeequaye as an opener to the late 2003 remix of ‘Oye Ohene’ off the Ntete Pa album.
The original song, however, was off of Obrafuor’s Time Out for Adhesion (TOFA) Album back in 2003.
In the 2000s, Mantse became a household voice behind ‘Last 2’ signees’ adlibs on many of the producer, Da Hammer’s works.
Mantse has also worked with other former ‘Last 2’ artistes including Sarkodie, Edem among others.
The reworking of the adlib into a 2022 record is another reason many Ghanaian music lovers are paying a closer attention at Drake’s fresh album for more subtle references.
- Bridget Otoo ties the knot at private ceremony
- Entrance exam saga: Your desire to be a lawyer doesn’t mean you have to become one – GBA President
- One Ghanaian delegate goes ‘missing’ after Commonwealth Games
- U20 Women’s World Cup: Ghana play Japan today in likely do-or-die mission
- Ga Mashie celebrates Homowo: Pictures and videos of the colourful festival
- Organisers of ‘Aduru wo so’ walk caution Nana B against suspending Alan Kyerematen
- ‘We promise to support you’ – Bawumia to Ga state at 2022 Homowo
- GLC barring re-marking justified, argument against directive only emotional – GBA President
- 8-year-old girl drowns in cesspit in Wa
- NPP flagbearership race: ‘The grassroots are yearning for Alan Kyerematen’ – Hopeson Adorye
Labianca case: GRA dissociates itself from Col. Damoah’s comments against Special Prosecutor
EOCO must take up Labianca case – Murtala Mohommed
KNUST law faculty holds maiden open day for SHS students
Monkeypox: Experts give virus variants new names
Nojeem Adetuberu: Tobacco harm reduction – That Africa is not left behind
Playback: The Probe discusses alleged rot at Tema habour & Labianca
Some lawyers have put their political parties’ interests ahead of the profession – GBA President
Stop buying refurbished gas cylinders from unscrupulous people – Fire Service warns
NPP flagbearership race: ‘The grassroots are yearning for Alan Kyerematen’ – Hopeson Adorye
We’re probing alleged possession of Ghanaian passports by non-Ghanaians – Foreign Affairs Ministry
We are investigating illegal mining claims in Offin river – Minerals Commission
Organisers of ‘Aduru wo so’ walk caution Nana B against suspending Alan Kyerematen
GLC barring re-marking justified, argument against directive only emotional – GBA President
Entrance exam saga: Your desire to be a lawyer doesn’t mean you have to become one – GBA President
Bawumia joins Ga Mashie to celebrate Homowo