Canadian rapper, singer, and actor, Drake, has been sued for a third time over his hits “In My Feelings” and “Nice for What.”
The new lawsuit was filed by the same person who hit ‘Drizzy’ with the previous lawsuits, Samuel Nicholas III—a musician going by name Sam Skully- who has now accused Drake of copyright infringement, Billboard reports.
Skully alleges that elements of his 2000 song, “Roll Call (Instrumental)” were sampled and used in the Scorpion album cuts; both “In My Feelings” and “Nice for What” were produced by BlaqNmilD, born Adam J. Pigott. TrapMoneyBenny also worked on “In My Feelings,” and Murda Beatz on “Nice for What.”
Skully claims BlaqNmilD utilized the exact sample in additional records he crafted for other artistes. BlaqNmilD’s team shot back, saying the producer and Skully used the same sample from the 1986 song “Drag Rap (Triggerman)” by Queens rap duo the Showboys.
“It is this song, ‘Drag Rap (Triggerman),’ that Adam had indeed sampled for the compositions in question,” BlaqNmilD’s manager Craig E. Baylis said.
“The Showboys will attest that Adam ensured that they were contacted for all proper clearances. Our question is, has the plaintiff done the same?”
In 2019, a year after Scorpion dropped, Skully filed a lawsuit against Drake for “In My Feelings” and “Nice for What” with the same claims of copyright infringement. However, both cases were dropped because Skully didn’t move forward in litigation.
In addition to Drake, Asylum Records, Cash Money Records, Republic Records, and Big Freedia were named in the new lawsuit.
- NPP flagbearer race: Bawumia suspends campaign over ongoing limited registration exercise
- Sharaf Mahama celebrates 26th birthday with donation and reading session with kids
- I’m not the 3rd richest man in Ghana – Dr Kwame Addo-Kufuor
- Desist from registering JHS 1 and 2 students for BECE – Public school heads warned
- Bob Menendez steps down as US Senate foreign relations chairman after indictment
- MohBad mourners teargassed at Nigeria’s Lekki toll gate after Lagos concert
- Ethiopian Prince Alemayehu’s lock of hair returned after 140 years in UK
- US senator Bob Menendez charged with bribery after wads of cash and gold bars found at home
- GPL 2023/24: Bofoakwa Tano score late to beat RTU at home
- Sudan war: Army chief Burhan claims he’s ready for peace talks
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest and OSP-Cecilia saga
- Former Bantama MP, Okyem Aboagye dead
- Mahama Ayariga condemns killing of 9 in highway ambush at Pusiga
- Inaki Williams scores and assists as Athletic Bilbao beat Alaves
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: BBC News journalist who was arrested by police speaks up