Audio By Carbonatix
The Director of Elections and IT for the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Dr Omane Boamah, has asserted that the Electoral Commission (EC) has eroded the last trust the party had in the institution.
According to him, the EC is neither transparent nor reliable in its handling of the provisional voters' register.
“The Electoral Commission has eroded the last atom of trust that we had in them, and we have a plethora of evidence—credibility-wise, reliability-wise, and even self-interestedness.
“As a result of that, let us deal with the issues that arose out of the meetings and that is why it is sad that the Electoral Commission that has transparency in their motto prevented the media from covering it,” he said on JoyNews Newsfile on Saturday, September 14.
His remarks followed the EC’s Deputy Chairperson, Dr Bossman Asare's insistence that the Commission had resolved all discrepancies raised by the NDC regarding the provisional voter's register.
Dr Asare assured the public that the EC has developed a robust register for the 2024 general elections and noted that the Commission had addressed all of the NDC's concerns.
He added that the EC has nothing to hide and is committed to ensuring a credible electoral process that inspires confidence, and thus it was now the NDC's responsibility to provide evidence of any remaining issues.
But responding to him on the show, Dr Boamah said that the NDC had requested a forensic audit of the provisional voter's register and a re-exhibition of the register, and provided a hard drive to the EC for updated information, but the Commission failed to comply.
“… We sent a hard drive, an empty one - even before this meeting, you have been saying you have addressed our issues. If you have, let us have them so that as we keep on scrutinising the register, we will not be doing double work, work that you have already done.
“Of these four [Issues], the EC has said we are not going to permit forensic audit, as for re-exhibition, if Dr Bossman Asare can inform us what their position is because we believe that after all that they claim they are doing, which we must believe they are effecting, the ordinary voters should be able to confirm that yes it’s been done. Are they ready to allow for re-exhibition?
“They have blocked the forensic audit which we asked for, they blocked the re-exhibition which we asked for, and they have blocked making available their claimed resolution of the issues so far. They won't give us all three but they insist that we should trust that if we provide them with additional information, they are going to address them. This is not equity,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
4 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
4 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
5 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
5 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
6 hours