Audio By Carbonatix
The Electoral Commission (EC) has turned down a request from the National Democratic Congress (NDC) to broadcast live a scheduled meeting to discuss concerns regarding the Provisional Voter's Register (PVR) for the upcoming December 7 elections.
The NDC had written to the EC, calling for the meeting to be aired publicly in a bid to promote transparency.
The opposition party had raised issues with discrepancies in the provisional voter's register and believed that a live broadcast would allow the public to follow proceedings and understand the nature of the discussions.
However, the EC responded by stating that the discrepancies highlighted by the NDC were not new and had been raised in previous elections.
In its official reply, the EC assured that it is committed to holding "free, fair, transparent, peaceful, and credible elections."
Nonetheless, the Commission rejected the proposal for a live broadcast, emphasising that the concerns raised did not warrant such coverage.
Despite this, the EC expressed readiness to meet with the NDC team at the agreed time to address the specific issues they had identified in the voter's register.
The EC further reaffirmed its dedication to ensuring the integrity of the electoral process while addressing concerns through the usual channels.
Below is the EC’s response
RE: REQUEST FOR LIVE BROADCAST OF PRESENTATION OF OBSERVATIONS FOUND IN PVR-2024
I bring you greetings from the Commission and trust this letter finds you well.
Reference is made to your letter dated, 4th September, 2024 with reference number NDC/HQ/E/69/VOL/30 in the above subject matter.
The Commission stands in readiness to hear from the National Democratic Congress (NDC) the discrepancies it has identified with the Provisional Voters Register.
As you already know, the essence of the Voters Exhibition Exercise is to correct discrepancies in the Register. Such discrepancies include missing names, misplaced voters, and duplicate images among others.
The identification of discrepancies by your party is therefore not a new phenomenon. The Commission welcomes it in the hope that it will help ensure a Credible Register ahead of the 2024 General Election as envisaged by the Exhibition Exercise.
The Commission is absolutely committed to free, fair, transparent, peaceful, and credible Elections. However, the Commission does not accept the proposal of a live broadcast of this meeting. Our team is ready to meet with your team on the agreed time.
Thank you.
Latest Stories
-
Official: Sevilla unveil Ghanaian winger Emmanuel Abrokwa on long-term deal
18 minutes -
Eric Tinkler motivated by challenge of improving Kotoko
48 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Wednesday, August 19, 2026
57 minutes -
‘You can’t improve players on pitches like this’ – Kotoko coach Tinkler
1 hour -
Petroleum Commission says regulatory reviews have saved Ghana US$2.2bn
1 hour -
Prosecution of former NPP appointees not political persecution – Mustapha Gbande
1 hour -
Revised Ghana Card fees approved by Parliament, not unilaterally introduced – NIA
1 hour -
NIA says Labone Prestige Centre is optional, district offices remain operational
1 hour -
Three-month-old baby girl found abandoned in Ada bush
1 hour -
Boakye Agyarko vows to rebuild NPP into a winning force ahead of 2028
1 hour -
One seriously injured as four vehicles crash on Ofankor–Pokuase stretch days after fatal accident
1 hour -
GES denies GH¢1,500 Free SHS payment directive, urges parents to ignore viral claim
3 hours -
The losses were necessary – Manteaw defends GoldBod’s costly push to win Ghana’s gold market
3 hours -
We are concerned about inflation outlook when it comes to MPC decisions – BoG Governor
3 hours -
GoldBod had to ‘pay more’ to beat Indians, Chinese in Ghana’s gold market – Manteaw
3 hours