Audio By Carbonatix
The Education Ministry says it has ensured the termination of contracts for the construction of some 27 Community Day Senior High Schools known as E-blocks across the country.
Government says others are however at various levels of completion and will be put to use once ready.
The Ministry on October 27 explained that "for 21 of them, we are very hopeful that they will be completed and operationalized soon. 16 of them are between 25% and 60% complete."
These infrastructure projects, started under the erstwhile Mahama administration, took centre stage when the Chief of Aflao traditional area, Torgbui Amenya Fiti called on President Akufo-Addo to accelerate the construction of the school in his community to improve education in the area.
He had described the government’s approach to education as appalling and handed them a four-month ultimatum to operationalise the E-block facility.
"I am giving the Education Minister up till February [2022] for the school to be completed,” the chief said.
The President, during an interview on October 21, stressed that governance is a gradual process adding that the Chief could complete the facility if he was too frustrated to wait.
This caused a public uproar especially from indigenes of the Volta Regional town.
Others have also questioned the delay in completing the projects in other areas.
Speaking to Accra-based Citi FM on Wednesday, Head of Communication at the Education Ministry, Kwasi Kwarteng insisted that the state of some of the structures gave them no other alternative than to terminate the contract as many were "at sub-structural levels."
"You award it to the contractor, and you don’t provide funding and the contractor can come to the site once and does not appear on site months later.
"The contracts have been terminated outrightly. For some of them, after 2 or 3 years, you see that the contract is still at 1% completion stage,” he said.
Meanwhile, an October 15 statement from the Ministry said that work is on course to fully complete the E-block in Agblekpui, Aflao in the Ketu-South District.
“Currently, the project is about 96% complete. The outstanding works include final painting and clearing of the site,” part of the communique read.
The E-block forms part of the NDC administration's plan to build 200 Community Day Senior High Schools in the country to enhance access to secondary education.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
4 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
4 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
5 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
5 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
5 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
5 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
5 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
5 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
5 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
6 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
6 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
6 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
6 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
7 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
7 hours