It was news no-one expected, and for a while it sent social media and the football world into a frenzy.
Was the world’s richest man going to buy Manchester United?
Just after 01:00 BST on Wednesday, Elon Musk – who is reported to have a net worth of $270bn (£223bn) according to Forbes – posted on Twitter: “Also, I’m buying Manchester United ur welcome.”
Cue pandemonium on the social network, with the American’s tweet receiving more than 400,000 likes.
Also, I’m buying Manchester United ur welcome— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 17, 2022
It has been a painful start to the new season for United.
Their fans are restless, and earlier this week the Manchester United Supporters Trust said it will “demand answers” from those running the club after a “humiliatingly bad” start to the season.
The club has been in decline since Sir Alex Ferguson retired as manager in 2013, and fingers have been pointed at the Glazer family, who have owned the club since 2005.
There have been multiple protests against the Glazers’ ownership in recent years – including one in May 2021 which caused the Red Devils’ match against Liverpool to be postponed.
United fans are planning another protest against the American family during their latest meeting with their bitter rivals on Monday.
Some fans welcomed Musk’s interest in their club, which was valued at $4.6bn (£3.8bn) by Forbes earlier this year.
Now i need to buy Man United stock got dammit lol— Ryan Babel (@Ryanbabel) August 17, 2022
Other fans wondered what a club run by Musk would look like, given he also owns rocket company SpaceX and electric car company Tesla.
But the thought of Musk branching out into football was short-lived.
Musk, who has more than 103 million followers on Twitter and is currently trying to unwind his $44bn (£36.3bn) offer to buy it, later clarified he was just joking.
Meanwhile, United did not comment on the speculation.
Just as the UK was waking up, Musk was asked if he was “serious” about the bid, and replied at 5:34 BST: “No, this is a long-running joke on Twitter. I’m not buying any sports teams.”
He added: “Stand-up is my side-hustle.”
But it turns out he is fan of the Red Devils, tweeting: “Although, if it were any team, it would be Man U. They were my fav team as a kid.”
No, this is a long-running joke on Twitter. I’m not buying any sports teams.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 17, 2022
Although, if it were any team, it would be Man U. They were my fav team as a kid.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 17, 2022
You never know what the future holds.
Just woke up from a crazy dream. Elon Musk said he was going to buy Manchester United.— Ryan (@Itshaber) August 17, 2022
Anyway, going back to sleep now.
- Player Ratings: Black Stars suffer 3-0 defeat to Brazil
- Fitch downgrades Ghana from ‘CCC’ to ‘CC’
- Fitch downgrades Ghana to further ‘junk’ status
- Police fire tear gas to disperse protesting final year UEW students
- Obaapa Christy has hidden our last child from me since he was 2 – Ex-husband
- Otto Addo names Black Stars line-up for Brazil friendly
- Brazil’s first half brilliance ensures 3-0 victory over Black Stars
- Otto Addo admits Brazil selection gaffe, pledges to do better
- How the Black Stars came to be known as the “Brazil of Africa”
- US Embassy to clear student visa applications backlog
- Brazil 3-0 Ghana: Ten things we learned
- GITFiC launches book on AfCFTA
- We’re poised to minimise debt restructuring’s impact on financial systems – Finance Ministry
- Black Sherif releases date of his debut album titled ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Voter registration: EC’s recalcitrance poses the biggest threat to Ghana’s democracy – Sam George
- Hasaacas Ladies announce marquee signing Firdous Yakubu from Ashtown Ladies
- EPCG Divine Grace Parish donate to shore up KATH blood bank
- Close down schools in Bawku over insecurity – Heads of basic schools urge GES
- Brazil exposed set piece weaknesses that Ghana has to address before the World Cup
- Joel Bortey: Tough loss against Brazil but there is time to work on mistakes
- Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor: Law school exam leak – GLC’s IEC must be dissolved
- Ghana card has become a tool to infringe on peoples rights – Bright Simons
- Thomas Partey’s late exclusion from Brazil clash was precautionary
- Slamm Foundation launches Nimde3 App that teaches IT skills in local languages
- Brazil 0-3 Ghana: How Brazil floored Black Stars in first half horror show