Kuami Eugene was in Liberia Saturday night to perform at the 2018 MTN Liberia Music Awards which was held in Liberia for the first time after holding past four editions in the United States.
Music fans at the Executive Pavilion looked with apparent disinterest as their superstars performed their hit songs. CIC, who won Artiste of the Year on the night had no one singing or dancing along during his performance.
Facebook comments by Liberians watching via Facebook Live suggested that the sound quality was bad and that the audience were tired due to the time the event started.
The situation suddenly changed when the ‘Angela’ hitmaker Kuami Eugene from Ghana took to the podium. All the audience including the musicians stood up to sing and dance along throughout his 10-minute performance including his Twi songs.
This act by the audience angered people watching from home and Facebook was set on fire with comments insulting the audience for ignoring their stars only to hail a foreign artiste. Interestingly, there was an immediate improvement in the sound quality that had been bad since the ceremony started.
Kuami Eugene had a nomination and was competing for the International/African Artiste of the Year but lost to Nigeria’s Davido after entertainment critics spoke against attempts to award the ‘Wish Me Well’ hitmaker.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Rap battle round 1: Medikal vs Strongman, who won?
- 2019 EMY Africa Awards: Full list of Winners
- Class, style, persona; Nat Attoh hosts 3rd EMY Africa Award
- DJ Switch to support Cape Coast school with educational materials
- Gospel musician arrested over HIV/AIDS cure claims
- Cardi B charged with strip club assault
- Video: Asamoah Gyan, Atsu, Owusu, others in ‘cheeky response train’
- Ghanaian TV personality to host 2019 BET Awards red carpet
- I don’t mind nude roles to serve a purpose—Ama K
- Joy FM's Cosmopolitan mix goes live with Kwanpa band
- Kalybos unveiled as ambassador for Geddit Ghana
- Thank you! Kuami Eugene appreciates KiDi for amazing verse
- Adom FM Music Chart (Week 24): Kwesi Arthur's ‘Nobody’ makes it to the top
- Court orders police to file Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale trial documents
- Patoranking explains why he allows nudity in videos