The Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) has destroyed 5 tonnes of unwholesome products which posed risk to the health of consumers, in Koforidua.
The products included expired and unregistered assorted food items, substandard and expired medicines, unregistered cosmetic products, unregistered herbal concoctions, expired blood collection bags, and expired assorted carbonated drinks.
Under the strict supervision of the FDA and environmental health officials, the unwholesome products were crushed and buried at the Akwadum dumping site near Koforidua.
This was to ensure complete destruction of the products.
Head of Enforcement at the FDA, Mr Joseph Yeboah Gyau, said the products were seized through post-market surveillance activities conducted at pharmacies and chemical sellers, warehouses, supermarkets, cosmetic shops, provision shops, table tops and medical laboratories across the region.
He indicated that expired seized food product during the Christmas season, as part of measures to protect the consuming public was part of the destroyed items and urged the public to be alert and check the expiry and manufacturing dates on every product purchased to ensure their safety.
- MP for Kumawu, Philip Basoah is dead
- ‘Why approve the man who caused me such pain?’ Sam George questions Minority MP colleagues
- Gold Mafia: Gold smuggler sneaks $40 million worth of gold out of Ghana every month
- Speaker slams Kamala Harris’ take on LGBTQ+ in Ghana, calls out Akufo-Addo
- Sights and sounds: Akufo-Addo hosts Kamala Harris at banquet
- Armed police officers and soldiers clash in Accra central as traders run for their lives
- Black Stars: 5 things we learned from the two games against Angola
- Playback: Kamala Harris addressed Ghanaians from Black Star Square
- ‘It was too big a risk to start him’- Hughton on Thomas Partey against Angola
- Treason trial: Court demands death certificate of Dr Mac-Palm
- Why Ebo Whyte’s ‘Just The Tip’ is a ‘maybe’
- You can’t intervene in anti-LGBTQ+ bill; you’re not in charge – Bagbin tells Akufo-Addo
- Tarkwa Rotary Club conducts medical screening for inmates of Tarkwa prisons
- The stories of slavery must be told – US Vice President after visiting Cape Coast Castle
- GhLA CEO Hayford Siaw honoured by global philanthropy organisation, Reach for Change
- World Water Day: Youth engagement maximized to achieve SDG 6
- Livestream: PM Express discusses US-Ghana relations
- Hey please! I am in charge – Bagbin tells Akufo-Addo over anti-LGBTQ+ bill
- Bole-Bamboi MP calls for rerun of the election that approved six ministerial nominees
- ‘He devoted himself to the Danquah-Dombo-Busia tradition’ – Akufo-Addo eulogises late Kumawu MP
- ECG disconnects Ghana Post Accra branch over GH¢89,000 debt
- Students have still not reported to school despite free SHS – Ashanti Region GES
- We have a very good candidate in Dr. Duffour – Fritz Bafour
- Division One: Heart of Lions extend Zone 3 lead to 15 points
- Kejetia market fire: Traders warned to desist from forceful opening of shops