Audio By Carbonatix
A UN peacekeeper has been wounded in southern Lebanon after being hit by gunfire, the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (Unifil) has said, the fifth member of the multinational force to be injured in recent days.
In a statement on Saturday, Unifil said the peacekeeper was injured at its headquarters in the southern city of Naquora on Friday night amid "ongoing military activity nearby", though added that it did not know the origin of the fire.
"He underwent surgery at our Naqoura hospital to remove the bullet and is currently stable," it said.
On Friday US President Joe Biden has said he was "absolutely, positively" urging Israel to stop firing at UN peacekeepers in Lebanon following two earlier incidents on Thursday and Friday.
Israeli troops have launched a ground invasion in southern Lebanon as part of its escalation against the Lebanese armed group Hezbollah, with which it has been trading cross-border fire on a near daily basis for the past year.
Israeli forces have urged UN peacekeepers to leave their positions. A spokesperson for Unifil said on Saturday that there had been a "unanimous decision" to stay in the border region.
Separately, Unifil said buildings at a position in the village of Ramyah sustained "significant damage due to explosions from nearby shelling" on Friday night.
"We remind all actors of their obligations to ensure the safety and security of UN personnel and premises, including avoiding combat activities near Unifil positions," the mission said.
On Friday, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) acknowledged that its troops were responsible for an incident in which two Sri Lankan soldiers, also in Naqoura, were injured.
The IDF said soldiers operating near the base opened fire after identifying a threat and that the incident would be investigated "at the highest levels".
Sri Lanka's foreign ministry said it "strongly condemned" the attack.
On Thursday, two Indonesian peacekeepers were injured falling from an observation tower after Israeli tanks fired towards it.
Lt Gen Seán Clancy, chief of staff of the Irish Defence Forces, has said he does not believe the strike on Thursday was accidental. Some 340 Irish troops are currently operating in Lebanon with Unifil.
"An observer tower with a round from a tank directly into it, which is a very small target, has to be very deliberate," he told Irish broadcaster RTÉ.
"So from a military perspective, this is not an accidental act. It's a direct act.
"Whether its indiscipline or directed, either way it is not conscionable or allowable."
The leaders of France, Italy, and Spain have also condemned Israel's actions, saying in a joint statement that they were unjustifiable and should immediately end.
On Saturday Lebanon's health ministry said Israeli strikes on villages to the north and south of the capital Beirut had killed nine people.
The IDF also told residents of 23 southern Lebanese villages to evacuate to areas north of the Awali river.
Hezbollah continued to fire into Israel, with the IDF saying that about 320 projectiles had been identified and a number of them intercepted.
On Saturday, the IDF announced that the areas around the northern towns of Zar'it, Shomera, Shtula, Netu’a, and Eben Menachem would be closed to civilians from 20:00 local time (18:00 BST).
Credit: The BBC
Latest Stories
-
IES calls for enforcement of Ghana’s Domestic Market Obligation as TOR resumes operations
3 minutes -
Galamsey destroying fish farms, threatening aquaculture – Fisheries Commission
16 minutes -
Adu-Boahene trial put on hold pending Supreme Court decision on legal vacation
24 minutes -
Toxic exposure from galamsey puts elderly at greater risk of kidney damage — Public health expert
48 minutes -
Big talk, small receipts: the politics of promises and policy
49 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana will reduce 70% medicine import dependence under five-year plan
52 minutes -
Study reveals high rate of uropathogens among Ghanaian elderly
54 minutes -
Christabel wins first Star Chef title as Big Chef Season 5 begins
54 minutes -
Tanker drivers begin three-day strike over alleged fuel measurement inaccuracies at BOST Kumasi
56 minutes -
Trump says US to reduce military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran war
57 minutes -
Greater Manchester NDC UK branch elects new executives
58 minutes -
Ghana’s anti-corruption fight has stagnated— Transparency International
1 hour -
UMB, ORC partner to make business registration easier for entrepreneurs
1 hour -
Cedi is ‘long overdue for a refresh’ – Mahama
1 hour -
GenCED urges NPP to extend 50% nomination fee reduction to women, youth and PWDs
1 hour