Audio By Carbonatix
Four armed men guarding an illegal mining site at Anbanzie in the Nzema East District of the Western Region have been arrested after a night operation by the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat.
The operation took place on February Monday 9 2026, between 6.00 p.m. and 8.30 p.m according to a Facebook post by the deputy CEO of the Forestry Commission, Elikem Kotoko.
The secretariat said its task force met violent resistance while attempting to enter the site during an intelligence-led exercise.
According to the secretariat, about fifteen men armed with cutlasses and wearing cowries around their bodies tried to block the convoy and attacked personnel carrying out their lawful duties.
Officers overpowered the group and arrested four suspects, while others fled. The team later raided and destroyed the illegal mining installation at the location.
The suspects were identified as Massawudu Alhassan, 34, Zuberu Ahmidu, 32, William Boateng, 28, and Ernest Abeka, 22.
Preliminary questioning indicated the four were among a group recruited by the site owner to guard the operation. They told investigators that about 28 individuals had been engaged for that purpose.
The suspects have been handed over to the Salma Police Station to assist with further investigations and possible prosecution.
Commenting on the exercise, Colonel Dominic Buah, Director of Operations of the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat, warned illegal mining operators and armed guards to desist from attacking taskforce personnel.
He said members of the team would defend themselves against any resistance encountered during operations.
The secretariat said it will continue intelligence-led operations in mining areas to curb illegal mining and protect communities and natural resources.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana, Ethiopia business ties ripe for expansion – GIPC
10 minutes -
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
21 minutes -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
25 minutes -
From Snapchat Stories to Snapchat Headquarters: Chef Abbys is taking Ghana to the world one plate at a time
40 minutes -
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
46 minutes -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
52 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
58 minutes -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
1 hour -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
1 hour -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
2 hours -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
2 hours -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
2 hours -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
2 hours -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
2 hours -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
2 hours