Audio By Carbonatix
US Open champion Naomi Osaka has pulled out of the French Open, which is scheduled to start on 27 September.
On Saturday, the Japanese player won her second US Open, and third Grand Slam title, with a 1-6 6-3 6-3 victory over Victoria Azarenka in New York.
She said in a statement: "I won't be able to play at the French Open.
"My hamstring is still sore so I won't have enough time to prepare for the clay. These two tournaments came too close to each other for me."
The 22-year-old had her left hamstring wrapped in tape when she beat Azarenka in the final at Flushing Meadows.
The world number three, who won the Australian Open in 2019, has never gone beyond the third round at Roland Garros.
Earlier this month, world number one Ashleigh Barty announced she would not defend her French Open title, pulling out of the tournament because of coronavirus restrictions.
In the men's draw, 20-time Grand Slam winner Roger Federer is the most high-profile absentee as he recovers from knee surgery.
On Thursday, French Open organisers cut the number of fans allowed to attend each day of the tournament to 5,000 because of surging coronavirus figures in the country.
The Paris tournament was moved from its original start date of 24 May because of the pandemic.
Latest Stories
-
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
5 minutes -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
40 minutes -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
44 minutes -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
50 minutes -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
2 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
2 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
2 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
3 hours -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
3 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
3 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
3 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
3 hours -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
3 hours