A newly-constructed road at Ntobroso in the Atwima Mponua District of the Ashanti Region was used by some farmers to dry cocoa beans.
In a video on social media, one side of the tarred road was covered with cocoa beans.
“Since when did we start drying cocoa beans in the middle of the road?” the Ashanti Regional Minister questioned.
He was inspecting ongoing feeder road projects in the area with some government officials.
When a cocoa farmer decided to dry cocoa beans on an asphalted road in a town, blocking one lane of the road and the Ashanti Regional Minister, Simon Osei Mensah chanced on it and was irritated by the action of the owner of the cocoa beans. pic.twitter.com/qlIgdxrwVO— Isaac J.K Bediako (@ike_official1) November 10, 2022
Upon chancing on the development, Simon Osei-Mensah was irked and ordered the removal of the cocoa beans immediately.
One of the residents on the scene retorted that they would not remove the beans because the road is not being used for illegal mining to warrant such a directive from the Minister.
Ashanti Regional Minister! 🏃🏃 pic.twitter.com/IUQe8AgYCm— OWUSU KWADWO (@owusukwadwo360) November 9, 2022
Oddly enough, he went ahead to state unequivocally that even if they remove them, they would dry the cocoa beans again after the Minister and his team had left.
“Is this act not worse than galamsey? We will arrest you if you don’t take care,” Mr. Simon Osei-Mensah is heard saying in the video.
But the gentleman swiftly replied to the Minister and said that even if he is arrested, he would be freed, eventually.
It was an interesting exchange as the Regional Minister ordered the security to arrest him for his unfortunate utterances.
Some residents and the Assemblyman began pleading on his behalf. They suspected the man in question was drunk.
The man believed to be in his early 40s snubbed the Ashanti Regional Minister and refused to apologise.
“This man standing there, what shows he is drunk? He is just being foolish. What is the sense in this? Arrest him and let’s see if he could come back as he’s saying,” Simon Osei-Mensah directed.
- Samuel Eto’o filmed brutally kneeing a man in the face after Brazil’s World Cup clash with South Korea
- Bank of Ghana upgrades one cedi coin
- Photos: Volta Regional NPP Secretary ties knot with Deputy Women’s Organiser
- Road toll to be collected electronically – Roads Minister
- We reject debt exchange programme; it will destroy savings of Ghanaians – Pensions Chamber
- Cedi likely to strengthen against dollar amidst debt sustainability outlook
- Debt exchange could land Ghana in very difficult times – Dr. Atuahene
- Government might have over-borrowed – John Kumah admits
- Presidents must have courage to reshuffle their ministers – Kufuor
- Parliament approves 2023 Budget and Economic Policy
- Cristina Fernández: Argentina vice-president found guilty of corruption
- Cyril Ramaphosa: How Arthur Fraser landed South Africa’s president in trouble
- PM Express Analysis: Paying more for Water & Electricity – A conversation with PURC Executive Secretary
- 2022 FIFA WC: Morocco takes charge of the African challenge after dumping Spain
- Public servants are justified in asking for increase in salaries – Minority Leader
- Police secures court remand for three persons involved in gold scam and robbery
- Banda Khalifa: The Manhyia Saga exemplifies a toxic work environment.
- Good Shepherd R/C JHS wins Junior Science and Maths Quiz 2022
- Masantewaa Emporium represents Ghana at Runway Dubai
- Ghana Muslim Mission commissions clinic for residents at Korle-Gonno
- Delay in speech development in children can be genetic – Speech therapist
- Tanzania to spend cash on schools instead of independence day
- Security guard gunned down on Tarkwa-Banso road
- Brosankro-Aprakukrom Murder: Bereaved families appeal to IGP
- Prices of hair extensions up as festive season nears