“The time is ripe for Ghana and Switzerland to transition their diplomatic ties to a level that will guarantee the exchange of expertise in statecraft and governance”, the Speaker of Parliament Rt. Alban Sumana Kingsford Bagbin has said.
As a budding democracy, he noted that there was a lot for Ghana to learn from the Swiss to help deepen our diplomatic credentials and deliver the needed development to the people.
Ghana he said, is making significant strides in advancing its governance to address the core needs of its citizens.
The Speaker further raised concerns over the small number of women representation in Ghana’s Parliament and said a lot needs to be done to address the challenge of low women representation in Ghana’s governance structure especially as the country remains committed to meeting the UN Sustainable Development Goals(SGDs).
Speaker Bagbin stressed that these efforts, are an important feat that will add up to the country’s already attained feat in advancing democracy in Africa.
The Speaker made this call when the Swiss Ambassador to Ghana Philip Stalder paid a courtesy call on him in Parliament.
On his part, Ambassador Philip Stalder emphasised that Switzerland’s strategy process for sub-Saharan Africa ties in with its foreign policy vision and assured the Speaker of working together with the Parliament of Ghana to develop new areas of co-operation.
Ambassador Stalder commended the parliament of Ghana for the critical role it continues to play in advancing parliamentary diplomacy on the global level.
The Special Advisor to the Speaker Hon. Kofi Attor also urged the Swiss Envoy to pay special attention to building mutually beneficial relations with the various governance institutions.
- Medical Doctor gets emotional on Joy FM over debt exchange
- Black Stars’ Christian Atsu reportedly missing after earthquake in Turkey
- My loss to Manny Pacquiao was deliberate – Joshua Clottey
- Haruna Iddrisu accepts changes in Minority leadership
- Muntaka accepts Minority leadership reshuffle after meeting with Mahama
- ‘God, please’ – Asamoah Gyan prays for Christian Atsu, other celebs join
- Cedi continues recent gain against dollar; $1 now ¢10.40
- Over 1000 dead as huge quake toppled buildings in Turkey and Syria while people slept
- Let’s continue to pray for Christian Atsu – Mahama to Ghanaians
- It is sad BoG unlawfully printed $3.3bn for government – IEA Director of Research
- We’ve amicably resolved impasse over change in Minority Leadership – NDC Council of Elders
- Accra-Tema Motorway no longer fits definition of motorway – NRSA
- SMEs without certification could lose out on ACFTA benefits – Trade Ministry warns
- Livestream: PM Express discusses DDEP and government’s trust deficit
- All set for Kwabena Kwabena’s ‘Vitamilk Love Night’ show on Feb. 11
- Non-participation in DDEP will prolong efforts to resolve current economic crisis – Ofori-Atta
- If you want to get the best out of your employee, compensate them – HR Instructor advises employers
- Sign up for debt exchange ahead of deadline – Ofori-Atta counsels bondholders
- Joy Entertainment Unpacked: Highlighting Guiltybeatz’s Grammys recognition
- Turkey earthquake: Atsu pulled out of rubble alive, says Portugese portal
- DDEP will bring economic stability and growth – Finance Minister
- Ankaful inmates get medical supplies from Tobinco Pharmaceuticals
- Suame traders fume; resist planned demolition of market
- Jesse Morgan recruits Celestine Donkor for inspiring single, Wataban (Wings of God)
- Diaspora Girls’ Senior High School launches 20th anniversary celebration