Former President John Dramani Mahama has expressed the need for government to diversify Ghana’s agricultural profile.
According to him, it is time serious attention was paid to agro-processing and agri-business as a means of value addition and wealth creation for all persons in the agriculture value chain.
In a Farmers’ Day post on his Facebook page, he stated that the wealth created from the diversification of the agricultural sector would help plug some of the teething problems the country is facing, most particularly unemployment and increasing poverty levels.
“As we commemorate this important day, we must diversify by delving into agro-processing and agri-business as ways of ensuring value addition and wealth creation for all persons in the agriculture value chain.
“This wealth must particularly benefit our farmers and fishers, and also the country. This way, we can get more young people into agriculture to employ more of Ghana’s youth and increase our food stock.
“We will also earn foreign exchange through exports and, ultimately increase the income levels of our hardworking farmers and fishers.”
He expressed that with the rapid changes happening across the world, it was of significant interest that Ghana explored new business opportunities, and this can only be achieved through diversification.
“Our world is fast-changing, and we must find new ways of doing business if we are to survive.
“I believe once government averts its mind to the opportunities and comparative advantage we have as a country, we can achieve the goal of prosperity for our country and its people,” he said.
Meanwhile, he took the opportunity to tout the immeasurable contribution of farmers to Ghana’s economy.
He said “Heartiest congratulations to our farmers and fishers on the occasion of this year’s National Farmers Day. You remain our heroines and heroes.
“Through your effort, Agriculture continues to be the mainstay of our economy, employing most of our nation’s working population and being a leading contributor to GDP.
“Not only do you provide our nation’s food and nutrition needs, you also wield the potential to eradicate hunger and poverty and lead our country toward rapid industrialization and shared prosperity through agribusiness.”
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Turkey earthquake: “Huge and miraculous” – Christian Atsu’s local manager reacts to his rescue
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- Demand for dollars ease; BoG sold only $9.2m on spot market
- Haruna Iddrisu did not sell out NDC to us – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- Stonebwoy shares pictures of red carpet moments at 2023 Grammys
- Akufo-Addo donates cash, food items towards funeral of late Yagbonwura
- 60% of doctors are in Accra and Kumasi – Health Ministry
- 9 arrested in Atewa Forest for illegal mining
- Pencils of Promise commissions 197th classroom block
- Newmont Ahafo North Mining Project: Chiefs, youth groups appeal to government to apply state laws, warns WACAM
- Reshuffle is to reinvigorate government – Majority Leader
- Majority Leader stops taking fuel allocation in response to Ghana’s economic woes
- Digital Cooperation Organisation makes case for collaboration at LEAP in Saudi Arabia
- Asante Akim Marathon winner to compete in world cross country competition
- DDEP: Government commends bondholders who have tendered their bonds
- DDEP: Government grants 3-day administrative window for bondholders to complete processes
- Merqury Quaye to headline first DJ concert in Ghana on March 5
- Playback: One-on-one with Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- ‘The Lord is your shepherd, you shall not want’ – Bagbin prays for Haruna Iddrisu and co
- Epixode hopes to be as big as Grammy winner Kabaka Pyramid ‘one day’