Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister for Communication, Digital Technology and Innovations, Sam Nartey George, has announced that Ghana’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) is taking steps to secure an international arrest warrant through INTERPOL for a Russian national accused of publishing sexually explicit images and videos of Ghanaian women without their consent.
Speaking to the media on Wednesday, February 18, the Minister described the suspect’s actions as “atrocious conduct” and said the government would pursue all legal avenues to ensure accountability.
“This is a serious violation of our laws and the dignity of our citizens. We will not allow anyone to exploit Ghanaian women and hide behind borders,” Sam George stated.
The move follows formal complaints by several women who appeared in a viral video involving the suspect. According to the Minister, the reports triggered immediate investigations by the CID and other relevant state agencies.
He explained that online speculation surrounding the suspect’s identity had been put to rest after official verification.
“Checks conducted through his passport have confirmed that he is a Russian national, contrary to earlier rumours circulating on social media,” he noted.
The Minister said investigators are currently working with the Ghana Police Service and financial and cybersecurity agencies to gather evidence and prepare documentation for international cooperation.
Before the announcement, the government summoned officials from the Russian Federation to express concern over the alleged unlawful conduct and to demand cooperation in the investigations.
The case gained national attention after a video went viral on social media, showing a man identified as Yaytseslav interacting with several Ghanaian women. Some of the women were later reported to have accompanied him to his hotel.
The footage sparked widespread public outrage, with many calling for swift action against online sexual exploitation and the abuse of digital platforms.
Sam George stressed that the case highlights the growing challenge of cybercrime and digital abuse in Ghana, adding that government remains committed to protecting victims.
He also warned members of the public against sharing or circulating the explicit content.
“Anyone who downloads, forwards, or monetises these materials is equally breaking the law and will be dealt with,” he said.
The Ministry says it will continue to update the public as investigations progress, while working with international partners to ensure justice is served.
Latest Stories
-
“BoG failed to follow the appropriate steps before revocation of GN Savings and Loans’ licence”
4 minutes -
Ankaful Prison officers undergo Emergency Response Training to boost disaster preparedness
5 minutes -
Residents scramble for meat after train kills two cows at Avenor in Accra
5 minutes -
Vanessa Trump, former wife of Donald Trump Jr, diagnosed with breast cancer
18 minutes -
GSA to launch digital App for consumers to scan and identify non-standard products
21 minutes -
Enimil Ashon: Filmmakers laughing all the way to the bank
29 minutes -
Ghana signs landmark deal with Canadian firm to turn waste into clean energy and aviation fuel
37 minutes -
Heath Goldfields’ return brings relief to families in Bogoso-Prestea after two years of hardship
58 minutes -
MTN Ghana rolls out SME Business Clinic in Koforidua to drive digital transformation
1 hour -
Stakeholders demand demolition of encroaching structures around Wa Airport over rising wildlife threats
1 hour -
“For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord” – Nduom celebrates court victory
1 hour -
TDC, GIADEC and ARISE IIP join forces to advance Tema Industrial Park project
1 hour -
MTN Ghana calls for reforms to tackle risks facing local businesses
1 hour -
Minority accuses Foreign Affairs Minister of sidestepping Parliament over foreign agreements
1 hour -
Trade Minister leads high-level mission to China to woo investors
2 hours