Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Health Service (GHS) and the Ghana Education Service Health (GES) have instituted key measures to determine the extent of the outbreak of the novel Coronavirus disease (Covid-19) in the Senior High Schools.
This follows a report of Covid-19 cases in some Senior High Schools on July 6, with the Accra Girls Senior High School (AGISS) recording the most cases from the first report to date.
As at Monday, July 13, a total of 314 students and staff from the AGISS had been tested, out of which 55 were confirmed positive, an official statement has said.
"A few other schools have reported sporadic cases which have not experienced a surge," it said.
The statement was jointly signed by the Director-General of the Ghana Education Service, Professor Kwasi Opoku-Amankwa, and Dr. Patrick Kuma-Aboagye, the Director-General of the Ghana Health Service.
The GES and the GHS, it said, had been implementing containment measures such as the identification and segregation of contact from other students; sample collection and laboratory testing of all contacts identified and suspected cases, and transferring of all confirmed cases to designated national treatment and isolation centres for management.
Other measures are the restriction of the number of students that attend dining at a particular time; enforcement of social distancing protocols; and enhanced hand hygiene practices and the proper use of the facemask.
The Ministries, according to the statement, had also ensured that the schools were disinfected entirely, adequate Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) were provided to health staff stationed in the school, and education on Covid-19 prevention and control intensified.
It also said counseling and psychological support was being provided to the students.
Additionally, the schools have designated quarantine and isolation centres, while the parents and guardians of affected the students were duly contacted and staff of the schools reassured.
“Ghana Education Service working with Ghana Health Service wishes to inform parents, guardians, and the general public that efforts are being made to ensure the safety of our staff and students,” the statement said.
Latest Stories
-
Chamber of Mines commends government for breakthrough in Adamus Resources dispute
15 minutes -
Construction work on Winneba-Accra Highway poses challenges for commuters
32 minutes -
World Rugby chair Brett Robinson and Rugby Africa president Herbert Mensah to visit Zimbabwe as Sables prepare for Rugby World Cup
1 hour -
Mahama disappointed by US opposition to UN slavery resolution
2 hours -
Audit irregularities surged in 2024 as GACC flags weak financial controls
2 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair: Day 2 opens today with bigger homeownership opportunities
2 hours -
‘Africa’s prosperity is not a threat to anybody’ — Mahama
2 hours -
‘The Big Push is pushing’ – Upper West MPs hail contractors delivering in the region
3 hours -
Government sets up team to negotiate VALCO strategic partnership
3 hours -
Ghana clears upstream disputes as $3.5bn investment pipeline takes shape
4 hours -
Land dispute turns deadly as man is allegedly stabbed with scissors at Achiase
5 hours -
Muntaka orders police to crush vigilantism, unauthorised ‘self-defence’ groups
5 hours -
Kingsley Agyemang donates medical equipment, pays patients’ bills at Kyebi Hospital
6 hours -
‘Partnerships must be on our terms’ — Mahama
6 hours -
GH¢20.5bn irregularities rock public institutions
6 hours