Audio By Carbonatix
Gen Mamady Doumbouya has been elected president of Guinea after securing the majority of the vote, according to initial polling results published by the country's election commission.
The junta leader is hoping to legitimise his rule after seizing power in a coup four years ago.
A civil society group campaigning for the return of civilian rule condemned the election as a "charade" after his main challengers were barred from contesting, while opposition candidates said the poll was marred by irregularities.
On Monday, internet monitoring organisation NetBlocks reported that access to social media platforms TikTok, YouTube and Facebook had been restricted as Guineans waited for the full results.
There has been no official comment on the restrictions, but opponents see it as an attempt by the junta to stifle criticism of the results.
The provisional results announced on Tuesday showed Gen Doumbouya winning 86.72% of the 28 December vote, an absolute majority well over the threshold that would trigger a runoff vote. The victory gives the junta leader a seven-year mandate.
Should the results be challenged, the Supreme Court has eight days to validate them.
Opposition candidate Faya Millimono said on Monday that the election was marred by "systematic fraudulent practices", citing expulsion of poll observers, ballot stuffing and intimidation.
The ruling party and the government have yet to comment on the complaints.
After overthrowing then-83-year-old President Alpha Condé in 2021, Gen Doumbouya promised not to seek election and to hand power to a civilian.
"Neither I nor any member of this transition will be a candidate for anything... As soldiers, we value our word very much," he said at the time.
The junta leader broke his promise by putting his name on the ballot after a new constitution, implemented in September, permitted him to run for office.
Eight other candidates took part in Sunday's election, but with the exclusion of main opposition parties RPG Arc en Ciel and UFDG, none of the participants have a solid political footing.
Although he is popular with many of Guinea's youth, Gen Doumbouya has been criticised for restricting opposition activities, banning protests, and stifling press freedom in the run-up to the elections.
The general justified deposing Condé on similar charges - including rampant corruption, disregard for human rights and economic mismanagement.
Guinea has the world's largest bauxite reserves and some of its richest iron ore. Last month, authorities launched the gigantic Simandou iron-ore mine to widespread anticipation.
However, over half of the population lives in poverty, according to World Bank figures.
Latest Stories
-
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
17 minutes -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
20 minutes -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
22 minutes -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
27 minutes -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
33 minutes -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
34 minutes -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
40 minutes -
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
52 minutes -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
54 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
1 hour -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
1 hour -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
1 hour -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
1 hour -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
1 hour -
Mahama pledges to end double-track system by 2027 through expansion of technical and vocational education
1 hour