Audio By Carbonatix
The Duke of Sussex has said he is "taking a leap of faith" in stepping back from his life as a member of the Royal Family but said, "there really was no other option".
Speaking at an event on Sunday evening, he said he wanted to make it clear he and Meghan were "not walking away".
"The UK is my home and a place that I love, that will never change," he said.
It is the first time the duke has spoken since it was announced the couple would give up their HRH titles.
Earlier this month, Prince Harry and Meghan said they intended "to step back as 'senior' members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent".
Beginning his speech at a fund-raising reception in central London for Sentebale, the charity he co-founded which helps children living with HIV in southern Africa, he said: "I can only imagine what you may have heard and perhaps read over the past few weeks.
"So I want you to hear the truth from me as much as I can share, not as a prince or a duke but as Harry."
During his address, the prince said he would always have "the utmost respect for my grandmother, my commander in chief".
"Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the Commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible," he said.
"I've accepted this, knowing that it doesn't change who I am or how committed I am."
As part of a deal finalised on Saturday between the Queen, senior royals, and the couple, Harry and Meghan agreed they will no longer formally represent the monarch.
From the spring, they will stop using their HRH titles and withdraw from royal duties, including official military appointments.
However, the statement by Buckingham Palace said they would continue to maintain their private patronages and associations.
In the speech, posted on the couple's Instagram account, the prince said that when he and Meghan were married "we were excited, we were hopeful, and we were here to serve". "For those reasons, it brings me great sadness that it has come to this. "The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back is not one I made lightly," he said. "It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges and I know I haven't always got it right, but as far as this goes there really was no other option."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
14 minutes -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
15 minutes -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
15 minutes -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
15 minutes -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
19 minutes -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
32 minutes -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
35 minutes -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
49 minutes -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
1 hour -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
1 hour -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
2 hours -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
2 hours -
Ghana, Ethiopia business ties ripe for expansion – GIPC
2 hours -
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
2 hours -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
2 hours