The 2016 general election which led to the electoral victory of the incumbent government also saw the party win majority of the parliamentary seats.
In 2016, the total number of parliamentary seats available was 275.
Out of the total seat, the New Patriotic Party(NPP) won 169 seats whiles the National Democratic Congress (NDC) won 106 seats making them the minority in Parliament.
Prior to the division of the regions in 2019, the Northern Region now Savannah and the North East regions was considered as the stronghold of the NDC.
In the Northern Region, the total parliamentary seat was 35. Out of it, the NDC won 18 seats.
The NPP took 13 seats at the end of the 2016 polls.
Upper West Region had a total of 11 parliamentary seats, the NDC won 6 seats while the NPP held on to 5 seats.
The opposition party in 2016 took 3 seats in the Upper East region whiles the NDC took 12 seats out of the 15 total parliamentary seats.
In Brong Ahafo, the total parliamentary seats was 29 out of this the NPP won 20 seats leaving 9 seats for the NDC.
The Ashanti region is considered as the stronghold of the ruling party, in 2016, the NPP won 44 parliamentary seats whiles the NDC took 3.
25 seats were won by the NDC in the Volta Region, another stronghold of the current opposition party whiles the NPP had just one seat in the region.
Parliamentary seats in the Western Region were 26, out of it the NPP won 16 seats, leaving 10 seats for the NDC.
For Eastern Region, a total number of parliamentary seats were 33, 27 seats went to the NPP and the NDC took 6 seats.
In Central Region, the NPP took 19 seats leaving 4 seats for the current opposition party.
Finally, in the Greater Accra Region, the total Parliamentary seats were 34, out of this, the NPP had 21 seats while the NDC had 13 seats.
- CCTV footage shows final moment of student-journalist who was killed in a hotel
- Armed robbers kill police officer, eyewitness and injure bullion van driver at James Town
- We’ll stop escorting your cash if you don’t acquire armoured bullion vans – IGP warns banks
- Nkrumah was playful, not a dictator – Former lady-in-waiting to Fathia Nkrumah
- Government to borrow ¢2.9bn in fresh funds between June and August 2021
- Bullion van attack at James Town: IGP directs CID to take over investigation
- GPL: Asante Kotoko beat Inter Allies in five-goal thriller
- Behind the scenes: Stephen Appiah and Laryea Kingston when #EurosOnMGL cameras are off
- Former dance champion, Alex Ofori, dead
- Bankers Association to hold emergency meeting over carting of currencies across country
Say it right: ‘Request’ not ‘request for’
Police should step up their game in retrieval of unlicensed firearms – Accra Mayor after bullion van attack
“Concerned Staff of GCB” publication on bad corporate governance and others, false, malicious – GCB Bank
Driver of GNPC boss loses wife in attack by gunmen in Kumasi
Euros On MGL: Hungary v Portugal betting preview
Ghana, Kenya to facilitate inter-regional trade
Execute prisoners who have been sentenced to death – Deputy A-G designate
Ecobank Ghana pledges support for women in agriculture
13-year-boy kills 2 bandits who kidnapped him
John Boadu petitions CID over alleged involvement in ‘galamsey’
14-year-old storms police station to report father for rape
Strikes work, it is a very strong tool – Ofosu Asamoah
Lawyer for Achimota Rasta students resigns from NDC
Families of 2020 election violence victims in Techiman to get 4-bedroom houses
Leaders, create the right environment for your workers – Newmont Regional Vice President