Audio By Carbonatix
The Member of Parliament (MP) for Tamale North, Alhassan Suhuyini, has slammed the Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, Godfred Yeboah Dame over his handling of the ambulance procurement trial and the subsequent outcome of the case.
His remarks came in response to the Court of Appeal's decision on Tuesday, July 30, which acquitted and discharged the accused persons in the case.
The ruling overturned a previous trial court's order that required Dr Cassiel Ato Forson and Richard Jakpa to open their defence.
The two had been accused of causing a financial loss of €2.37 million to the state in a deal to procure ambulances for the Government of Ghana.
While Justice Alex Poku Acheampong dissented, Justices Kweku Tawiah Ackah-Boafo and Philip Bright Mensah ruled in favour of the accused persons.
Following the ruling, Attorney-General Godfred Dame issued a statement condemning the decision.
He described it as perverse and contrary to the substantial evidence presented by the prosecution, arguing that it undermines public accountability and the rule of law.
In an interview with TV3 on Wednesday, July 31, Mr Suhuyini advised the AG to remain silent to avoid further embarrassment.
He suggested that Dame has compromised himself and the office he occupies with his response to the court's decision.
"This case has not just been lost but his integrity has also been lost and if I were in his shoes, I would be speaking very little at this moment because he has not only disgraced himself but he has disgraced the office of the Attorney General."
"It was a case that shouldn’t have happened. It is a classic example of political persecution. Even before we heard what was contained in the leaked tape, most Ghanaians knew this was a witch hunt and a classic case of political persecution," he said.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
6 minutes -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
7 minutes -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
23 minutes -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
28 minutes -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
34 minutes -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
1 hour -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
2 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
2 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
2 hours -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
4 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
4 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
4 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
5 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
5 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
5 hours