The Bekwai Circuit Court in the Ashanti Region has sentenced a 26-year-old man who defiled a three-year-old girl to 22-years imprisonment with hard labour.
Akwasi Adu who is reported to be as an illegal miner and resident at Kokotro-Abodom near Bekwai sexually abused the child left in his care by her parents who are his neighbours.
Police detective Inspector Stephen Ofori, told the court on September 27, that the grandmother of the victim heard the girl crying in the convict’s house.
She rushed in only to see the child naked with a mixture of blood and faeces around her genitals with Mr Adu preparing to bathe her.
The prosecution said the old lady took the girl to a private hospital where she was referred to the Pramso Government Hospital.
Despite his initial denial of doing anything to the child, the accused admitted to the offence in his caution statement to the police.
The court presided over by Justice A.W.K.Nawurah, convicted and sentenced Akwasi Adu to 22-year imprisonment.
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- Fire guts new Kejetia Market
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah released from National Security custody
- Chinua Achebe’s ‘Things Fall Apart’, ‘No Longer at Ease’ and ‘Arrow of God’ are being adapted for television
- Cape Coast airport to be completed before end of second term – Transport Minister assures
- Wesley Girls: Aside ban on fasting Muslims aren’t allowed to observe Salat – Old student
- Our scholars in Cuba are broke because they insist on table-top payment – GNPC Foundation
- Don’t shake your car when fueling – Transport Consultant
Social media users react to arrest of Citi FM’s Caleb Kudah
4 more die of Covid-19, active cases now 1,519
Eight home-based players included in Ghana’s squad to face Morocco and Ivory Coast
Extraordinary problems require extraordinary measures – Lands Minister justifies burning of excavators
Government’s fight against galamsey camouflage – PPP
Court remands 32 alleged national security operatives accused of mining
Kenyan MPs summoned over bribery claims
#FixTheCountry: Be measured in your expectations of Akufo-Addo due to Covid-19 – Chief of Staff
#FixTheCountry: Pay cut for political leaders will not achieve much – Afenyo-Markin
Kumawood stars grace Mercy Asiedu’s 50th birthday
MTN Ghana donates in support of Eid celebration in Western Region
Inflation rate drifts into single digit of 8.5 per cent in April
Church of Pentecost hands over fully furnished Ejura prison to state
Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship launches inaugural Legatum Foundry Fellowship for entrepreneurs in Africa
Pregnancy should not be a hindrance to your dreams – Nana Adwoa Awindor