An officer of the Ghana Immigration Service has died while another is in critical condition at the Tamale Teaching Hospital after they were involved in an accident in Tatale in the Northern Region.
The two officers were on night patrol at Kuyuli, one of the unapproved routes to the neighbouring country Togo, in the district when the accident occurred.
The officers who were pursuing smugglers on a motorcycle run into a stationed vehicle.
One of the officers was pronounced dead on arrival at the Tatale District Hospital and the other was referred to the Tamale Teaching Hospital and is currently on at admission at the emergency unit.
A statement signed by the PRO of the service Assistant Inspector Christian Kobla Kekeli Zilevu said the people of Kuyuli in the Tatale District are noted for their notoriety in smuggling activities.
He said, for this reason, officers are constantly deployed on patrol duties in that area to prevent such activities adding that this was one of their usual activities when the incident occurred.
Assistant Inspector Zilevu said the command of the Ghana Immigration Service is sounding a strong warning to those who are involved in smuggling activities in the area and the country at large to desist from the act.
He said that Service would continue their watchdog role and those who would be arrested would face the full rigorous of the law.
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Asking Special Prosecutor to quit over ‘frustrations’ wrong – Domelevo
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Current Assets Declaration Law is a joke – Domelovo
- Africa World Airlines marks 11th anniversary with exciting passenger rewards and expansion drive
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Roads blocked as protesters march towards Jubilee House
- Cedi remains relatively stable since February 2023; Y-T-D depreciation to dollar stands at 22.5%
- LaLiga: Barcelona beat Celta Vigo after dramatic comeback
- Premier League: Calvert-Lewin helps Everton end winless start against Brentford
- Premier League: Ten-man Man City beat Nottingham Forest despite Rodri red card
- Ghanaian musicians die paupers; GHAMRO, MUSIGA are a mess – D-Black
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Policeman sits on the floor to plead with demonstrators to unblock roads
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Let’s tread cautiously as investigations continue – Domelevo
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift
- I’ll release audio recording of Kan Dapaah’s $1m offer to silence me – Barker-Vormawor