After blacklisting TikTok, India has now banned the mobile version of the popular game PUBG, citing security concerns. Indian officials have been cracking down on Chinese apps following a deadly border clash.
India has banned more Chinese apps on Wednesday, accusing them of undermining India’s security amid an ongoing row over the disputed Himalayan border between the two neighboring nations.
New Delhi said that it had barred as many as 118 mostly Chinese apps, which include services provided by China internet giant Tencent and the popular online game PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, also known as PUBG.
A statement by the country’s Information Technology Ministry said they promoted activities that were “prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defense of India, security of state and public order.”
“This decision is a targeted move to ensure safety, security and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace,” the Indian government said.
India already banned 59 apps at the end of June, including video-sharing platform TIkTok, social media app WeChat and Weibo, China’s equivalent of the US micro-blogging site Twitter.
In July, the country banned 47 more Chinese mobile applications that cloned the previously restricted apps.
The crackdown follows a deadly border clash in the Ladakh region between Chinese and Indian troops, which saw at least 20 Indian soldiers lose their lives.
China also suffered casualties during the flare-up but has not given any figures.
The two countries fought a border war in 1962.
Both have each accused the other of trying to cross their unofficial frontier in the Ladakh region to gain territory.
Diplomatic and military talks to bring an end to the crisis have so far been unsuccessful.
- Joseph Opoku Gakpo: Adulteration of faith can’t be part of our educational curriculum
- 19 alleged national security operatives arrested for illegal mining in Atewa forest
- #FixTheCountry agitators have no leaders – Barker-Vormawor
- British woman killed in Pakistan ‘after refusing to marry a man’
- ‘FixTheCountry’: Don’t use Covid-19 to suppress peaceful assembly – Sammy Gyamfi
- Wesley Girls’ SHS ‘no fasting” policy, strictly for health reasons – Old students
- Companies continue to export rosewood to China despite ban – Inusah Fuseini
- Ramadan: UDS Dean of Education condemns Wesley Girls SHS management
- Why I rejected over ¢700k bribe – Anti-galamsey taskforce member
- Ramadan: Exercise restraint and circumspection in your comments – Peace Council to all stakeholders
Today’s front pages: Thursday, May 6, 2021
5 feared dead, 15 injured in accident on Accra-Tema motorway
Elizabeth Ohene: Culture of noise
NSMQ 2021: Presec, Achimota, Chemu and Odorgonno SHS battle for Greater Accra Regional Championship title
#FixTheCountry protest a wake-up call – Political Scientist
GRIDco announces disruption in flow of vehicular traffic on Tetteh-Quarshie – Koforidua highway
House of Chiefs President supports burning of mining equipment in forest reserves
Message from the Morning Man: Paul’s Pot
200 Police personnel deployed to enforce mining directives across Ghana
Trader jailed for impregnating his physically challenged daughter
Security man killed in a robbery attack at Dzodze
Health officials complain over lack of blood
Miners warn colleagues against flouting government directives
Woman allegedly murders elder sister over a piece of land
Government urged to address teachers’ welfare