Audio By Carbonatix
Soldiers opened fire on a truck they believed was carrying militants in India's Nagaland state, and then shot locals who came to protest the killings.
More than a dozen civilians were killed by Indian security forces in the northeastern state of Nagaland, government officials said Sunday.
The civilians, who lived in a remote village along the border with Myanmar, were mistakenly believed to be militants.
Home Minister Amit Shah said he was "anguished" by the killing in Nagaland's Oting village.
"I express my deepest condolences to the families of those who have lost their lives," he said, adding that an investigative team set up by the state would "thoroughly" probe the incident.
The top elected official of Nagaland state, Neiphiu Rio, offered his condolences to the victims' families on Twitter, saying the killings were "highly condemnable."
The unfortunate incident leading to killing of civilians at Oting, Mon is highly condemnable.Condolences to the bereaved families & speedy recovery of those injured. High level SIT will investigate & justice delivered as per the law of the land.Appeal for peace from all sections
— Neiphiu Rio (@Neiphiu_Rio) December 5, 2021
What happened?
The victims were daily wage laborers who were returning home from a coal mine on Saturday evening in a pick-up truck when they suddenly came under fire.
They were ambushed by the army's para commando unit that was taking part in a counterinsurgency operation.
The soldiers fired at the truck after receiving intelligence about a movement of insurgents in the area, an unnamed army officer told the Associated Press. Six people in the truck were killed.
Villagers angered over the killings set fire to two army vehicles in protest. The soldiers responded by firing at them, killing seven more people, the army officer said.
What did the army say?
The army said in a statement that the unit was acting on the basis of credible intelligence of likely movement of insurgents.
"The incident and its aftermath are deeply regretted," the army said in a statement.
"The cause of the unfortunate loss of lives is being investigated at the highest level and appropriate action will be taken as per the course of law."
Indian security forces have been battling dozens of ethnic insurgent groups in the country's northeast, whose demands range from independent homelands to maximum autonomy within India.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
4 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
4 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
4 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
4 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
4 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
4 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
5 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
5 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
5 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
5 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
5 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
6 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
6 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
6 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
6 hours