Audio By Carbonatix
Kweku Baako Jnr says it would be “cowardly” if the government takes a decision to boycott Joy FM and JoyNews TV, following disagreements between it and the media outlets.
According to the Editor in Chief of the New Crusading Guide newspaper, that decision –although not formally communicated- lacks courage.
“It [the decision to boycott] is cowardly and (sic) unstrategic and I didn’t expect that to come from the NPP [New Patriotic Party,”] the veteran journalist said while speaking on Newsfile programme on JoyNews Saturday, May 4.
JoyNews on March 7, broadcasted a documentary, ‘Militia in the heart of the nation’ showing an unlicensed security company and a militia group, De-Eye, conducting training at the Christianborg Castle, the former seat of government.
The 22-minute documentary showed a pro-New Patriotic Party (NPP) militia group training within the facility housing no fewer persons than appointees of the president.

Government through Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, filed a formal complaint at the National Media Commission (NMC) on March 13, insisting JoyNews is bad-mouthing its administration in its attempt to clamp down on the activities of party militias that have seen government officials attacked, public offices closed down and a by-election turn violent.
Government, since the broadcast of the documentary which was produced by award-winning JoyNews undercover journalist, Manasseh Azure Awuni, has refused to send representatives to participate in discussions on programmes on Joy FM and Joy News TV.
Read also: 9 things gov't complained about to NMC over Joy News documentary
Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah
Kojo Oppong Nkrumah had demanded an apology from The Multimedia Group Limited, owners of Joy FM and Joy News. Since then, producers of current affairs shows from the stations have been struggling to get appointees of the government, who are paid from the public purse, to contribute to public discussions.
Read also: NMC chair asked to recuse himself over JoyNews documentary case
Commenting on the government’s boycott, however, Kweku Baako urged the NPP administration, which he said is generally considered more friendly to the media compared to the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), to reconsider the decision because it will not yield any advantage.
“…if there’s any such policy, I’m appealing to government and the NPP to review it,” he advised.
Latest Stories
-
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
3 minutes -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
43 minutes -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
48 minutes -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
1 hour -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
2 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
2 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
3 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
3 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
3 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
3 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
3 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
4 hours -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
4 hours -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
4 hours -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
4 hours