After losing their second meeting in the final in the last five years against Real Madrid, Liverpool will be seeking revenge against the record-winners of the UEFA Champions League (UCL).
The two teams come up against each other at Anfield later on Tuesday, February 21, in the first leg of their Round of 16 tie, having been drawn together.
Liverpool have no better record in their last six meetings against the Spanish giants in the Champions League, with just one draw in that time. The Reds have suffered five defeats during that time including two losses in the final (2018 and 2022).
In the said period, Liverpool have only scored twice against Madrid while they have shipped in 11 goals. Jurgen Klopp, on the other hand, has failed to beat Madrid since his last win with Borussia Dortmund during the 2012/13 season.
Of course with the away goal rule taken away from the competition since last season, both teams still stand a chance of having a chance in the second leg at the Santiago Bernabeu.
In the other fixture on Tuesday, one of Europe’s most in-form teams, Napoli, will take a trip to Germany to play Eintracht Frankfurt.
The Serie A leaders have suffered just one defeat in the Champions League this campaign, losing 0-2 to Liverpool in the group stage. Luciano Spalletti’s side won all five other games in the group including 6-1 and 4-1 wins over Ajax and Liverpool respectively.
Frankfurt will look to rely on their defence to stop Victor Osimhen, who has been in a rich vein of form this season, though he has netted just once in the Champions League.
The Joy Sports team brings you live commentary of the game between Liverpool and Real Madrid at 20:00 GMT on Joy 99.7 FM with updates and happenings from the other fixture as well.
- Nigerian states cut working week to three days
- Special Prosecutor secures court order to arrest Charles Bissue
- Arrest of Prof Frimpong-Boateng disrespectful, tone down – Prof Gyampo cautions Special Prosecutor
- Frimpong-Boateng’s arrest by OSP was lawful – Joseph Kpemka
- Our mission was successful until big-people-sponsored-companies started doing whatever they want – Prof. Frimpong on IMCIM
- Saglemi: Former Housing Ministry Chief Director wheeled to court to face 43 criminal charges
- We need clarification – Bagbin calls for Gyakye Quayson’s name to be retained in Parliament’s records
- I did my job; I tried to make Ghana a better place – Prof Frimpong-Boateng
- Woman dies after eating poisoned chocolates sent by her ex-boyfriend’s jealous lover
- Ken Ansah wins CEO of the Year again but transfers praise to his talented team
- Popular actress opens up about her past: From love to hatred towards her mother
- Ghana Climate Innovation Centre to host the 5th annual Incubating Climate Innovation Symposium
- ‘Sex for grades’ outlawed by Nigeria’s parliament
- Book Review: ‘Her Virginity’; thinking she was loved by the best!
- Camidoh nominated in 2023 BET Awards
- Charles Bissue will not turn himself in despite court order for his arrest – Lawyer
- Wendy Shay thrills music lovers as she gets featured by one of Haiti’s biggest music star, K-Dilak
- Contact NCA if you are without Ghana Card and your SIM has been deactivated – Ursula
- Anthrax outbreak: FDA attributes it to butchers’ disregard for food safety standards
- Fight against galamsey: Residents of Segyemase worried about destruction of their water bodies
- District Education leaders embark on Change Leadership Programme
- Black Stars midfielder Salis Abdul Samed signs one-year contract extension with Lens
- Chelsea reject Emerson Palmieri makes history with Conference League win
- Ecobank Ghana declares ¢27.21m loss in 2022 due to DDEP; to return to profitability in 2023
- Government working on a framework to regulate use of AI – Communications Minister