Audio By Carbonatix
A South African judge says he wants ex-President Jacob Zuma to be given a jail sentence for failing to appear before him to answer corruption allegations.
Mr Zuma, 79, ignored a summons to appear before a commission of inquiry being chaired by Justice Ray Zondo.
The judge said Mr Zuma’s defiance could lead to lawlessness, and he would ask South Africa’s highest court to convict the ex-president of contempt.
Mr Zuma said he believed that Justice Zondo was biased against him.
He previously asked the judge to step down as chair of the inquiry.
Justice Zondo rejected the request and said he was doing his job impartially.
At least 40 witnesses have implicated Mr Zuma in corruption.
Among the allegations against him is that during his term in office, he allowed the wealthy Gupta family to plunder state resources and to influence policy and cabinet appointments.
Both Mr Zuma and the Guptas deny any wrongdoing.
The Constitutional Court ruled last month that Mr Zuma was compelled to appear before the commission.
Following his non-appearance on Monday, Justice Zondo said everyone was equal before the law and if Mr Zuma was allowed to defy the courts it would have far-reaching implications for democracy.
Mr Zuma has not commented since the judge’s ruling but has previously said he is not afraid to go to jail.
But some of his supporters, dressed in military fatigue, have marched outside his rural home, vowing to protect him.
Mr Zuma was forced to step down as president in 2018 after being dogged by allegations of corruption throughout his nine years in office.
His successor, Cyril Ramaphosa, took office on a pledge to tackle the issue.
Latest Stories
-
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
4 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
28 minutes -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
39 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
2 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
3 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
3 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
4 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
5 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
5 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
5 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
5 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
5 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
5 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
5 hours -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
7 hours