Two Junior High School students on Monday drowned in a dam on the Kaleo road in Wa during a swimming practice.
The teenagers, Master Nabil Mahama, 15, was a student of Limayiri Junior High Model School and a candidate for this year’s Basic Education Certificate Examinations (BECE), and Master Abdulai Alhassan, 18 was also a form one student of Kabanye English and Arabic Junior High School.
An eyewitness account said, the deceased and two others who survived the accident used a canoe that had a hole on the bottom and as they were on their way, water started entering into the canoe, resulting in their drowning.
The two surviving students whose names had not been given cried out for help and some lookers came to rescue them.
At 9.00 am on Tuesday morning, when GNA visited the scene, divers had removed Alhassan’s body and laid it by the edge of the dam while a search was going on for Mahama’s body.
Madam Samata Alhassan, mother of Abdulai said the deceased left the house at about 3.00 pm and not quite long, she heard the news that her son had drowned in the dam.
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Afenyo-Markin pleads for confirmation of ministerial nominees
- AFCON 2023Q: Antoine Semenyo nets last-ditch winner as Black Stars beat Angola
- Social media reacts to Afena-Gyan’s rejection of Black Meteors call-up
- Ghana v Angola: Jordan Ayew, Kudus start as Chris Hughton era begins
- Ashaiman invasion: We have been commended for ridding town of criminals – DG of Armed Forces Public Affairs
- Funny Face opens up on relationship with Emmanuel Adebayor
- Ghana power firms reject move to restructure $1.4bn debt
- Volta ECG reconnects Ho Airport, GRA, others after payments
- Cedi improves in value against dollar; $1 now ¢12.40
- 2023 AFCONQ: Ghana 1-0 Angola: Player Ratings – Partey shines, Mensah struggles
- Ramadan: Nigerians face arrest for ‘eating in public’
- AFCON 2023Q: Benching Andre Ayew was my choice – Chris Hughton
- GSE signs MoU with MIIF to increase listing of mining companies
- AFCON 2023Q: I just want to be effective for the team – Antoine Semenyo
- Today’s front pages: Friday, March 24, 2023
- Mahama and other NDC flagbearer aspirants to be vetted next week
- AFCON 2023Q: Chris Hughton calls for efficiency after winning start
- Government needs to ensure enough public tax education – Prof. Ebo Turkson
- Government needs to block revenue leakages -Prof. Ebo Turkson
- Ghana should move beyond using tax incentives to attract investment – Prof. Turkson
- New tax measures deepening the tax net, not widening it – Dr. Ali Nakyea
- EcoZoil marks World Water Day with beach clean-up and public sensitisation exercises
- Increasing taxes not conditionality for IMF board approval – Dr. Ali Nkayea
- Government’s new tax measures are anti-business – Mark Aboagye