Audio By Carbonatix
Former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta is no longer wanted by authorities following a decision to withdraw the declaration that had labeled him a fugitive from justice.
This development comes after the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) initially issued a wanted notice for Ofori-Atta in connection with an ongoing investigation into alleged financial misconduct.

The Special Prosecutor’s charges against Ofori-Atta included involvement in the Strategic Mobilisation-GRA Contract, termination of the ECG-BXC contract, payments related to the National Cathedral, procurement of ambulances, and Utilisation of the Tax Refund Account.
A fresh statement indicated that Mr Ofori-Atta has today communicated to the OSP the date for his voluntary return.
On the back of this, the OSP has removed his name from the wanted list.
"Consequently, Mr. Ofori-Atta has been removed from the OSP's list of wanted persons and the OSP ceases to consider Mr. Ofori-Atta a fugitive from justice pending his voluntary return to the jurisdiction circa his stated date," the statement said.
The OSP added that if Mr. Ofori-Atta fails to voluntarily return to the jurisdiction circa his stated date, and if Mr. Ofori-Atta fails to attend the OSP on the rescheduled date, he shall be re-entered on the OSP's list of wanted persons and the OSP shall then consider him a fugitive from justice, and the OSP shall take all necessary legal steps to secure his return to the jurisdiction and attendance at the OSP at our own choosing."
Earlier today, Minority Leader, Alexander Afenyo-Markin told Parliament that the former Finance Minister is expected to return to Ghana in May 2025 following a medical assessment abroad.
He told the house that Mr Ofori-Atta's lawyers have been in contact with the OSP and have confirmed his scheduled return.
“We acknowledge receipt of your letter dated February 17, 2025, we respectfully indicate that our client who is much due for his return cannot be any time before six to eight weeks of his possible surgical intervention as stated in the hospital’s letter."
“Our clients hold that taking into account surgical dates from March 20 to 21, and his recuperation period he should be able to be back into the jurisdiction between May 14 and 30, 2025. We hope you take note of this date and same can guide your office in fixing a day for the in-person of our client to your office,” he stated.
Latest Stories
-
Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians
4 hours -
Shipping slows through Strait of Hormuz after tanker attacks, data shows
4 hours -
Why I stopped trying to quit smoking – Omah Lay
4 hours -
‘What if sharks swallow you’ – Teni warns Burna Boy over ocean stunt
4 hours -
What’s driving men to get penis fillers, despite the risks?
4 hours -
Ngah brace fires Cameroon to historic first WAFCON crown with dominant Malawi victory
5 hours -
Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK
5 hours -
‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations
5 hours -
Court dismisses Nana Kwame Bediako’s fresh bid to halt $14.9m judgment
5 hours -
Air India pilot’s reported cannabis test: What it can and can’t tell investigators
5 hours -
France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
5 hours -
Fery wins on return as Djokovic reveals health condition after loss
5 hours -
‘Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement
6 hours -
Arsenal cruise to Community Shield win against disappointing Man City
6 hours -
Barcelona agree £65m deal to sign Rodri from Man City
6 hours