Audio By Carbonatix
Private legal practitioner Martin Kpebu has described the Special Prosecutor, Kissi Agyebeng, as unfit for office, citing alleged conflicts of interest and the mishandling of high-profile investigations.
He made the remarks during an interview on JoyPrime on January 6.
Explaining why he decided to challenge the Special Prosecutor, Mr Kpebu told JoyPrime:
“I like to be blunt. I took him on because of the stories I heard about corruption against him, and I have presented my petition.”
He outlined the legal timeline for the petition, adding:
“By law, the Chief Justice must make a decision within 30 days of receiving the petition. I presented it on December 11. The president had seven days to present it, so when I calculated it, by December 17, the Chief Justice should have received it,” he explained.
Offering his personal assessment of Mr Agyebeng, he said: “He is not fit for office; I will be very blunt. We will find a new candidate, people will show interest, and then we will scrutinise it.”
Mr Kpebu also raised concerns about the Special Prosecutor’s previous professional affiliations, noting: “Kissi Agyebeng worked for Ofori Atta, worked for Gabby Okyere Darko—these are the president’s relations. So you can see that obviously he was brought there to cover things for them, do a cover-up, and he did it in the SML case,” he said.
He further detailed what he described as collusion in the SML case: “Can you imagine, in the SML case, Ofori Atta left Ghana before they started investigating it. Manasseh was able to get the diary of action that shows when investigations started, and it shows January 29, 2025. But by that time, Ofori Atta had already left.
Even before seeing the diary of action, I had started saying that I see collusion—that Kissi Agyebeng allowed Ofori Atta to flee. Eventually, he came to confess, either on the KSM interview, where he said before Ofori Atta travelled, he intercepted the letter Ofori Atta wrote. That he went to NIB—he didn’t get the help he wanted to stop Ofori Atta,” Mr Kpebu said.
On his efforts to verify these claims with government agencies, he told JoyPrime: “I wrote to NIB. They replied that no, Kissi never came there. Then he said he went to National Security to get help—they didn’t help him. I wrote to National Security; they also replied in the negative. My letter is with Immigration; I believe they will reply soon, and I believe it will be no,” he explained.
Summarising his position on the Special Prosecutor, he remarked: “So, quite clearly, Kissi was brought there to do a hatchet job, generally to cover the Akufo-Addo government’s corruption. He is too conflicted, too—too conflicted,” Mr Kpebu said.
Latest Stories
-
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
49 minutes -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
1 hour -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
2 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
2 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
2 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
2 hours -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
3 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
3 hours -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
3 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
3 hours -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
3 hours -
Ghana hosts high-level ECOWAS meeting to boost women and youth political participation
4 hours -
Canada looks to trade talks after US Supreme Court tosses Trump’s tariffs
4 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso sign 7 cooperation agreements to deepen bilateral ties
5 hours -
Duraplast supports Accra sanitation drive with donation of 20 waste bins
5 hours
