Audio By Carbonatix
Former president, John Agyekum Kufuor, is "hale and hearty", according to one of his aides, amidst reports that he's gone into self-isolation over Covid-19 fears.
Some sources close to the former president, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed to JoyNews that Mr. Kufuor and his wife are both in isolation after some members of their security detail tested positive for Covid-19.
The sources will not disclose whether or not the former first couple had tested for Covid-19 and what the results were. They would also not disclose exactly where they had been isolated.
However, one of the former president's aides, Dr. Kwabena Osei Adubofuor, has said that the former president is doing well and there's no cause for alarm.
The reports of the former president going into isolation came after a statement from the Information Ministry announced that President Akufo-Addo had opted to go into self-isolation on the advise of his doctors after someone in his inner circle tested positive for Covid-19.
— Ministry of Information (@moigovgh) July 4, 2020
The statement said President Akufo-Addo had decided to isolate himself "out of the abundance of caution" even though he had tested negative for Covid-19.
There has been a spike in Covid-19 cases in the country in recent times with Ghana's case load currently standing at more than 20,000.
Government has been criticized as being behind the spike by allowing the governing New Patriotic Party to hold parliamentary primaries, easing restrictions on movement and permitting the Electoral Commission to start the compilation of a new voters' register.
Some high ranking government officials including the health minister as well as leading members of the NPP have contracted Covid-19. The health minister has recovered and is still at post, but the party's campaign manager, Peter Mac Manu is still on admission and a few days ago, the nation was thrown into mourning with the death of the Chief Executive of the Forestry Commission, Kwadwo Owusu-Afriyie, popularly known as Sir John.
Shortly after the announcement of Sir John's death, deputy trade minister, Carlos Ahenkorah, openly admitted in a radio interview that he had breached Covid-19 mitigation protocols by visiting some voter registration centres just a few days after he had tested positive for Covid-19. Public criticism of his actions culminated in his resignation from his ministerial job in the middle of the week.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
24 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
30 minutes -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
36 minutes -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
37 minutes -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
41 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
47 minutes -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
52 minutes -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
56 minutes -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
1 hour -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
1 hour -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
1 hour -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
1 hour -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
1 hour -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
1 hour -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
1 hour