Harry Kane’s 88th-minute header was enough to send Tottenham to the top of the Premier League for the first time since August 2014.
A game of few chances seemed destined to end goalless after Hugo Lloris had kept out Karlan Grant’s second-half header and a flurry of Tottenham chances had come and gone without reward.
But, as has been the case so often in the past, Kane punished a minor lack of concentration.
West Brom’s defence failed to track the England skipper’s run into the box, allowing him to leap unchecked to meet Matt Doherty’s cross and nod a 150th Premier League goal over goalkeeper Sam Johnstone.
Tottenham’s lead at the summit may only last a matter of hours, but it was the kind of narrow win that is the hallmark of champions.
For West Brom, who have now scored once in their last five games, it was a result that keeps them in the relegation zone and already facing a tough battle to retain their top-flight status.
- Police intervene to bring deadly clash between Nima and Mamobi youth under control
- Nigerians troll Ghanaians after AFCON loss
- Captain Smart to face prosecution over ¢25,000 fraud case
- Nobody can intimidate any chief under my watch – Asantehene
- My mother got me initiated at a Tigare shrine – Psalm Adjeteyfio
- Police discover ammunitions following deadly clash between Nima and Maamobi youth
- Bel-Aqua 500ml bottles to be temporarily found without usual plastic sheets around cap
- Playback: Ghana Vs Comoros
- 2021 AFCON: Twitter users blame Anas’ Number 12 exposé for Black Stars’ exit
- It’s not true 90% of recently recruited staff have been dismissed – BoG
‘Without a cup, what’s the use of Milo’ – Shatta Wale trolls Black Stars
Education Ministry begins negotiations with UTAG
5 dead, 14 injured in accident on Kintampo-Techiman highway
Only Ghana Card will be accepted for financial transactions from July 1 – BoG
Black Stars’ AFCON exit: Milovan doesn’t deserve GFA’s sympathy – Gabby Otchere-Darko
GPRTU threatens to join C-DAG increase transport fares should government fail to reduce fuel prices
3 more Covid-19 deaths recorded by GHS
Ghana card to be only identification for banking transactions from July 1, 2022 – BoG
Ofosu-Ampofo, Boahen trial adjourned to February 17
Reward me with presidential candidate for my invaluable service – Kofi Apraku to NPP
Kumawood movie industry is doing well but needs a revamp – Timothy Bentum
145 enterprises in Accra owe Tourism Development Fund ₵678, 856.15 as of Dec. 2021
Oliver Barker-Vormawor: Legacies of a colonised people – Conceptual indices for reframing Dormaahene and Asantehene controversy
Ablakwa calls for disbandment of current Black Stars, Milovan’s sacking
Owusu Bempah fails to show up in court