Audio By Carbonatix
Minister for Energy and Green Transition, John Abdulai Jinapor, has called for full legal action against individuals implicated in the recent ECG container controversy, insisting that recovering the assets is not enough without prosecuting those responsible.
Speaking at the Government Accountability Series in Accra on Wednesday, July 16, Mr Jinapor addressed the long-standing saga involving missing containers belonging to the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG).
“Retrieving the containers is only part of the solution,” the Minister stated. “We have two issues to deal with. Yes, we’ve retrieved almost all the containers, if not all, but those who were involved in all that—I hold the view that the law should deal with them, and that is my position.”
The ECG container issue, which sparked public outcry earlier this year, involved the disappearance of essential electrical equipment meant for national distribution projects. The recovery of the containers has since been confirmed, but concerns over accountability remain.
Mr Jinapor emphasised that government agencies must not merely focus on asset recovery but also ensure justice is served to deter future misconduct.
Turning to the issue of power theft, the Minister revealed that the Ministry is collaborating closely with ECG and the Northern Electricity Distribution Company (NEDCo) to curb illegal electricity connections and recover lost revenue.
However, he noted that the process has not been without challenges. “Recently, some of our staff were attacked when they went on their routine to ensure that we recover revenue as much as we can,” he said, condemning the acts of violence against field officers.
He made a direct appeal to residents in NEDCo’s operational zones, particularly in northern Ghana, to support the government’s efforts in combating electricity theft.
“Let me use the opportunity to appeal to all the people in the NEDCo area, in particular, to collaborate with us. It is for the good of the country to ensure that we are able to supply power,” he urged.
Mr Jinapor reiterated the government’s commitment to strengthening accountability measures in the energy sector while promoting public cooperation to safeguard the nation’s power supply.
Latest Stories
-
GIBA calls on NCA to review FM coverage restriction directive – GIBA President
4 hours -
Future of Ghana’s media will be defined by AI, digital disruption and regulatory reform – GIBA
4 hours -
Mahama stayed away so Ministers could speak freely – Kwakye Ofosu opens up on Damang Mine Cabinet debate
5 hours -
Kylie Minogue says cancer experience ‘still with me’
5 hours -
Dozens of romance scammers arrested after specialist fraud squad investigation in UK, Nigeria
5 hours -
Ghana to bid farewell to Aps Kwadwo Safo as funeral rites set for July 30
5 hours -
Son of Mango boss arrested over father’s fatal fall from cliff
5 hours -
Video: Moment Arsenal squad found out they were Premier League 2025/26 champions
5 hours -
Starbucks Korea sacks CEO over controversial ‘Tank Day’ promotion
5 hours -
Google to release first smart glasses since Google Glass flop
6 hours -
Two-time winner Alcaraz out of Wimbledon with injury
6 hours -
GSA shuts down 5A Homes for allegedly producing substandard mattresses
6 hours -
Heads of SHSs cite Buffer Stock Company over missing cost details of food supplies
6 hours -
Gov’t breached oil fund law for 5 years, kept $100m cap instead of $584m – PIAC report
6 hours -
Buffer Stock Company says SHS food prices are agreed by stakeholders, denies lack of transparency
6 hours