Audio By Carbonatix
Prospective registrants for the limited voter registration exercise in the Cape Coast Metropolis have called for calm among members of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) and the National Democratic Congress (NDC).
The call followed an alleged gunshot during the voter registration that truncated the processes on Thursday.
The cause of the disturbance is not formally known, but some eyewitnesses told the Ghana News Agency there were multiple shots allegedly to prevent the NDC from registering a group of people at the centre.
The registrants were reportedly bussed from Moree in the Abura-Asebu-Kwamankese Constituency to the registration centre.
Some witnesses said the gunshots were fired by some men allegedly guarding the NPP parliamentary candidate, Horace Ekow Ewusi, who is said to have avowed not to allow them to be registered in the ongoing limited registration exercise.
That resulted in a scuffle between NPP and NDC members and the subsequent firing of gunshots.
However, sources close to Mr Ewusi has denied the allegations, describing the information as palpable falsehood pivoted on tarnishing the reputation and political worth of the NPP Parliamentary Candidate.
Rather, the sources said Mr Eric Sampson, the Cape Coast North Communications Director of NPP, was physically assaulted by the thugs.
The source claimed he was assaulted by one Eric Sampson alias “Bullet” who is known to be the bodyguard of Mr Kwamena Mintah Nyarko, the Cape Coast North NDC MP.
In all of these, the registrants have urged the NPP and NDC to bury their differences, noting it was crucial for everyone to work together to ensure a safe and fair electoral process.
“If there are any concerns or issues, it's important to address them through peaceful and legal means,” one Mr Akonu Ansah appealed.
He was, however, relieved that calm had been restored at the registration centre.
“It's important for all parties involved to prioritise peaceful and lawful engagement during the voter registration process," he admonished.
Latest Stories
-
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
3 minutes -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
7 minutes -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
18 minutes -
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
2 hours -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
2 hours -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
2 hours -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
2 hours -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
2 hours -
Supreme Court to rule on injunction application on legal vacation today
2 hours -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
2 hours -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
2 hours -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours