Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Coalition Against Galamsey (GCAG) has expressed deep disappointment with President John Dramani Mahama’s comments on illegal mining (galamsey) during the Presidential Media Encounter held on Wednesday, September 10, 2025, at the Jubilee House.
In a statement, the Coalition said the President’s posture did not convey the urgency required to address what it described as “unprecedented environmental terrorism”, citing the pollution of more than 60% of Ghana’s water bodies, the displacement of farmers, and the destruction of forest reserves.
The GCAG criticised the President’s decision to withdraw police forces from anti-galamsey operations, arguing that while not perfect, the police had shown courage and helped bring the situation under control.
“His claim that the police cannot distinguish legal from illegal miners is misplaced. We challenge the Presidency to name a single licensed small-scale mining entity that is mining responsibly on the ground,” GCAG challenged.


While welcoming the establishment of the National Alternative and Illegal Mining Oversight Structure (NAIMOS), the Coalition questioned whether the body has been sufficiently resourced to deliver results.
The group also rejected the President’s suggestion that alternative livelihoods must be secured before miners are stopped, describing it as “an attempt to justify and embolden illegality”.
“This is not the leadership expected at a time when our nation faces environmental suicide, contaminated cocoa exports, and worsening health crises that threaten both current citizens and future generations,” the statement stressed.
On the issue of a targeted state of emergency, the GCAG disagreed with the government’s position, recalling that President Mahama himself had once joined civil society in calling for such a measure before his election. According to the group, conditions have worsened since then.
"The MD of GWCL reported the turbidity of the water at the Kwanyarko Water Treatment Plant to have hit 32,000 NTU, and on the day the President was speaking, the Central Regional Minister had endorsed the closure of the plant.
"This government's handling of the galamsey crisis is a disappointment to us all; this government is failing us," the group pointed out.
Latest Stories
-
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
5 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
12 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
39 minutes -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
51 minutes -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
59 minutes -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
1 hour -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
1 hour -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
1 hour -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
2 hours -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
2 hours -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
2 hours -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
2 hours -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
2 hours -
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
3 hours -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
4 hours