Audio By Carbonatix
Minority Leader Alexander Afenyo-Markin has announced an indefinite boycott of parliamentary proceedings in protest against Speaker Alban Bagbin's decision to declare four seats vacant.
This follows a ruling that affects MPs Cynthia Morrison (Agona West), Kwadjo Asante (Suhum), Peter Kwakye Ackah (Amenfi Central), and Andrew Asiamah (Fomena), who either opted to contest the 2024 elections as independent candidates or switched party allegiances.
Speaker Bagbin’s decision is rooted in constitutional provisions that mandate MPs to vacate their seats if they switch parties or contest as independents while still serving as sitting members of Parliament.
The ruling has significant implications for the balance of power in Parliament, leaving the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) with 136 seats, compared to the NPP’s 135, effectively making the NDC the majority caucus.
Following the announcement, a frustrated Afenyo-Markin led NPP MPs in a walkout from Parliament.
He expressed his dissatisfaction with the Speaker’s ruling, accusing Bagbin of aligning with the NDC and failing to follow the appropriate legal processes.
Mr Afenyo-Markin had previously filed a legal challenge with the Supreme Court on Tuesday, October 15, seeking to halt the Minority’s petition and clarify the legal status of the MPs involved.
In his remarks to the media after the walkout, Afenyo-Markin criticised the Speaker for what he described as a politically biased decision.
He reiterated the NPP’s commitment to the rule of law but warned that the party would not tolerate actions that undermine fairness and legal procedures.
Despite the boycott, the NPP remains focused on resolving the legal challenges surrounding the vacant seats, emphasising the importance of adhering to due process in addressing constitutional issues related to parliamentary representation.
“We as the Majority caucus immediately are boycotting parliament until this matter is determined by the Supreme Court. The speaker has no right to interpret the constitution, and it is so clear that what he did was to give an advantage to the NDC and do the bidding of the NDC."
“We are not going further to litigate. We have a process at the court, we will follow it up. If the court makes a pronouncement we will respect the orders of the court," he told the media.
Latest Stories
-
Tennessee execution called off after failed lethal injection
18 minutes -
Jailed Vietnamese tycoon’s Birkin bags sell for more than $550K
29 minutes -
Elon Musk’s SpaceX postpones Starship launch
38 minutes -
Alberta to hold referendum on whether to remain in Canada
48 minutes -
Rubio says Cuba is threat to US as Havana accuses him of ‘lies’
57 minutes -
Village in Juaben celebrates Villa win with parade
4 hours -
Three police officers to accompany 10,000 England fans at World Cup
4 hours -
Haaland and Odegaard head Norway World Cup squad
4 hours -
Up to 350 jobs under threat at Meta in Ireland
5 hours -
Arteta told of title win by crying son – while having barbecue
5 hours -
Meta settles social media addiction case with US school district
5 hours -
Southampton’s Eckert authorised spying missions
5 hours -
Foden and Palmer to miss out on World Cup squad
5 hours -
Hamilton says he has no plans to retire from F1
5 hours -
Nvidia’s latest record earnings fail to impress investors
5 hours