Audio By Carbonatix
The 2015 Algiers Accord brought stability to the north of the country as jihadist violence was on the rise. The military took control of Mali following two coups in 2020 and 2021.
The military rulers of Mali have ended a major peace deal with Tuareg separatist rebels in the north of the country, government spokesperson Colonel Abdoulaye Maiga said in a televised statement on Thursday.
Maiga said the government "notes the complete impossibility of the deal… and in consequence announces its end, with immediate effect."
Rebels, grouped under the Coordination of Azawad Movements (CMA), had already accused the government in Bamako of "abandonment" of the peace deal in July 2022.
What was the peace deal?
The Algiers Accord was signed in 2015 with support from the UN. It had been considered an essential agreement to maintaining stability in the region that has seen a flare-up of jihadist violence since 2012.
The agreement aimed to see ex-rebels integrated into the national army and allowed for more autonomy for the various regions.
Mali's junta blamed a "change in posture of certain signatory groups" as well as "acts of hostility" from Algeria, the peace deal's main mediator.

Tensions have been increasing between Mali and Algeria, with the former accusing the latter of "interference" and "unfriendly acts."
Mali's government summoned the Algerian ambassador in December last year, saying that the diplomat had held meetings with the Tuareg separatists.
Violence and instability in Mali
There were already signs of the deal coming apart when fighting broke out between Mali's military and the separatists in August last year.
The West African country has undergone two coups since 2020, leading to military rule and a fallout with Western powers that had been present in Mali as part of a counterinsurgency operation.
The junta ordered UN peacekeeping troops to leave the country, as well as French troops who had been fighting insurgents in the north of Mali.
Their departure has been seen as an instigator for the upsurge in violence as both the government and separatist groups raced to fill up the vacuum.
Latest Stories
-
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
55 minutes -
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
1 hour -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
2 hours -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
2 hours -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
3 hours -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
3 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
4 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
4 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
4 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
6 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
7 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
7 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
7 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
8 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
8 hours