Mali has expelled the Ecowas regional bloc’s representative in the country as pressure mounts on it to provide a definitive timeline on its transition to civilian rule.
Hamodou Boly was summoned by the foreign affairs ministry and notified of the government’s decision “declaring him ‘persona non grata’ in view of his actions [that are] incompatible with his status”, a statement on state-run ORTM TV said.
Mali has been at loggerheads with the regional body over demands to hold elections in February.
The West African nation was suspended from Ecowas in May after the interim leader, Col Assimi Goïta,carried out a second coup in less than a year.
Prime Minister Choguel Maïga has indicated that the election could be delayed, citing concerns over credibility.
There is concern that the Malian army’s preoccupation with the political crisis continues to jeopardise its response to the security crisis that has plagued its northern and central regions.
- Martin Amidu: The arrogance and impunity of power – Parliamentary rejection of 2022 Budget statement
- Beware of Kabuki dance to reverse irreversible rejection of 2022 budget – Amidu
- Majority and Minority meet separately ahead of ‘fresh discussions’ on 2022 budget
- Didier Drogba hosts tonight’s Ballon d’Or event
- ‘A job is much more than an income, it is a key to dignity, self-reliance and empowerment’ – Duffuor
- Reform of legal education system necessary to accommodate current realities – Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo is running ‘democratic-autocratic’ government – Amidu
- 25 illegal Ghanaian residents in Germany to be repatriated
- Ghana is not a secular state – Sam George
- 2022 budget: Speaker’s decision is proper but can be challenged – Inusah Fuseini
‘JS Saoura are bound to lose a home game’ – Samuel Boadu
Contributions of women to good governance ideal for democracy and economic growth – Diana Oppong Mensah
Meet Prof Elsie Effah Kaufmann’s adorable children
Soccer Intellectuals’ Abalansa denies attacking referee
Cedi depreciation has blown public debt by 30% – Kwabena Duffour
High cost of electricity, straight levy, access to credit remain major barriers to industrialisation – AGI
Bagbin travelled to Dubai with a skeletal staff – Speaker’s counsel
Uninsured government properties should be worry to everyone, not only insurers – Hollard Group CEO
Ghana ranked 5th most attractive automobile market in Sub-Saharan Africa – Report
SSNIT assures pensioners of regular payment of pensions
Oyoko Banda chief urges government to invest more in TVET
Cristiano Ronaldo hits out at Ballon d’Or lies: I’m never against anyone
Multimedia Group’s Ernest Manu named MCBIRD Fellow
‘The focus is to build a better NDC to contest in 2024 election’ – Duffuor
ADB fetes 2021 National Best Farmers