Serie A side AS Roma have completed the signing of Manchester United defender Chris Smalling on a season-long loan deal, the two clubs announced on Friday.
Smalling, who joined United in 2010, has made over 300 appearances for the club in all competitions but has found himself out of favour at the Old Trafford club this season, especially after the arrival of Harry Maguire.
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had said at a news conference earlier on Friday that he could not promise Smalling regular game time as he had a number of center-backs to choose from.
“Chris fancied the chance to go over there, it’s a new experience, new adventure,” Solskjaer told the club’s media channel.
“He’ll come back better for it because it’s a big club, it’s a good league. There aren’t too many English players who have been playing in Italy so I think he’ll enjoy it.”
Smalling is United’s second senior player to leave the club on loan after forward Alexis Sanchez sealed a loan move to Inter Milan on Thursday.
“This is the perfect opportunity for me. The chance to experience a new league, with a big team that has got big aspirations is exactly what I needed,” Smalling said.
“Hopefully I can hit the ground running. I’m looking forward to joining up with my teammates.”
While the Premier League transfer window closed on Aug. 8, a day before the season kicked off, the European window is open until Sept. 2.
- Fact-check: Did the NPP promise to build a harbour in Cape Coast?
- ‘I’m on the run until this country shows me there are laws’ – Shatta Wale
- ‘I never promised to build a harbour in Cape Coast’ – Akufo-Addo
- ‘God says we should sing a new song’ not plagiarise – Cindy Thompson to take legal actions against offenders
- A flimsy excuse should not be given for denial of a visa to MPs – Sam George calls out Netherlands Ambassador
- We’re investigating Shatta Wale’s shooting claims – Police
- I lied because people were associating me with politics – Cindy Thompson on ‘Awurade Kasa’
- Funny Face arrested after threatening to kill his baby mama and commit suicide
- Komenda Sugar Factory: Mahama constructed roof before building foundation – Akufo-Addo
- I no longer use a mobile phone – Kwabena Kwabena
Government backtracks on ‘No Ghana Card, No Salary’ directive to public sector workers
Samuel Dowuona: Extra spectrum; bridging data capacity gap in Digital Ghana
Salah is extraordinary, says Simeone as his Atletico side prepare for Liverpool
Photos: Tema Central sewerage system collapse exposes residents to health hazard
ECG to disconnect GBC, Kumasi International Airport over debt
NBA preview: All you need to know ahead of the 75th anniversary season
Pastor whose prophesy triggered Shatta Wale’s fake shooting fiasco arrested
Kanye West officially changes his name to Ye
Forget Kanye West, he’s now officially ‘Ye’
Woman who butchered her 2-year-old son to undergo psychiatric examinations
Queen mother appeals to Akufo-Addo to make definite pronouncement on LGBTQ+
Wydad to play Hearts behind closed doors
Awako not happy at Hearts, I want to bring him back – Annor Walker
Inside Nigeria’s unregulated human egg industry
Robbers made away with over ¢100k in alleged bullion van attack