Audio By Carbonatix
Manchester United have confirmed they have reached an agreement to re-sign Cristiano Ronaldo from Juventus.
United said the deal for the 36-year-old five-time Ballon d'Or winner was subject to personal terms, visa and a medical.
Ronaldo scored 118 goals in 292 games in his first spell at Old Trafford before leaving for Real Madrid in 2009.
"Everyone at the club looks forward to welcoming Cristiano back to Manchester," said a United statement.
United's announcement came after a dramatic 24 hours. Neighbours Manchester City had looked to be one of the favourites to land the former Real Madrid player when some reports suggested personal terms had already been agreed between the two.
However, Ronaldo has opted to return to United where he spent six years and won three Premier League titles, one Champions League, two League Cups and one FA Cup - as well as the Fifa Club World Cup and Community Shield - under Sir Alex Ferguson.
Initially, Ronaldo thought there was no chance of a deal with his former club, but United have decided to make it happen, while City have missed out on another striker option after main target Harry Kane committed to Tottenham.
Speaking before City face Arsenal in the Premier League on Saturday, manager Pep Guardiola said: "Cristiano is a Juventus player. I cannot add anything else.
"In these three or four days left until the transfer window shuts, anything can happen but, in my view, there are few players - Cristiano Ronaldo included, Messi is another - they decide where they are going to play.
"Right now, my feeling is I am more than delighted with the squad we have and we will stay the same."
On Wednesday, Juventus told Ronaldo they were willing to sell him during the transfer window - but only if their conditions were met by interested clubs.
"[Ronaldo] gave his contribution, he made himself available, now he leaves and life goes on," boss Massimiliano Allegri said on Friday.
"Things change, it's a law of life. Juventus remains, which is the most important thing.
"He is to be thanked for what he has done, also as an example among the youngsters. But as I said, we must go on."
More soon....
Latest Stories
-
“BoG failed to follow the appropriate steps before revocation of GN Savings and Loans’ licence”
1 minute -
Ankaful Prison officers undergo Emergency Response Training to boost disaster preparedness
2 minutes -
Residents scramble for meat after train kills two cows at Avenor in Accra
3 minutes -
Vanessa Trump, former wife of Donald Trump Jr, diagnosed with breast cancer
15 minutes -
GSA to launch digital App for consumers to scan and identify non-standard products
19 minutes -
Enimil Ashon: Filmmakers laughing all the way to the bank
27 minutes -
Ghana signs landmark deal with Canadian firm to turn waste into clean energy and aviation fuel
34 minutes -
Heath Goldfields’ return brings relief to families in Bogoso-Prestea after two years of hardship
55 minutes -
MTN Ghana rolls out SME Business Clinic in Koforidua to drive digital transformation
1 hour -
Stakeholders demand demolition of encroaching structures around Wa Airport over rising wildlife threats
1 hour -
“For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord” – Nduom celebrates court victory
1 hour -
TDC, GIADEC and ARISE IIP join forces to advance Tema Industrial Park project
1 hour -
MTN Ghana calls for reforms to tackle risks facing local businesses
1 hour -
Minority accuses Foreign Affairs Minister of sidestepping Parliament over foreign agreements
1 hour -
Trade Minister leads high-level mission to China to woo investors
1 hour