The Ranking Member on Parliament’s Finance Committee says marriages are collapsing as a result of the prevailing economic hardship.
Speaking in Parliament while debating the 2023 Budget, Dr. Ato Forson blamed the situation on government.
“Mr Speaker, it will surprise you to know that marriages are collapsing because of this government, marriages are collapsing because the cost of living is so high,” he said.
According to him, the increased cost of living has had an adverse effect on businesses.
He added that the country’s “debts are currently unsustainable.”
“Mr Speaker, as a result, our country’s debt is in a debt distress situation. Our country is going through sovereign insolvency stress yet this budget statement, the bulkiest of all budget statements and unfortunately the hopeless one I have ever seen, failed to address the situation,” he said.
Dr. Forson also lamented the high rate of youth unemployment.
The Ajumako Enyan Esiam MP stated that the situation of youth unemployment has now become a security crisis.
“Mr Speaker, unemployment, particularly youth unemployment, is inching close to 50% yet this budget failed to address the issues that we have,” he said.
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- DDEP: We’ll continue to converge there until we’re exempted – Dr. Anane Antwi
- 40 Ejuraman students injured in dining structure collapse
- Accra-Tema Motorway no longer fits definition of motorway – NRSA
- Full text: Finance Minister’s speech on DDEP deadline eve
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- College head found dead with husband and daughter
- Gospel artiste OJ Blaq wants to be featured on secular concerts
- We need reduction in appointees, not reshuffle – Dr Amoako Baah tells Akufo-Addo
- Economist advises individual bondholders not to invest in DDEP
- My dad, Culture, never died on stage in Germany – Kenyatta Hill
- 3 persons remanded over alleged kidnapping
- 28 of 47 students of Ejuraman Anglican SHS discharged from Hospital
- I’m your biggest fan – DJ Khaled tells Tems
- Akufo-Addo nominates Abetifi MP for Agric Ministry
- Bole: Family of murdered herdsman demand justice, appeals to CJ
- Death in a military operation is not unexpected – Security Analyst on Bawku killings
- Tems speaks on Grammy win, working with Future, Drake, others
- Bank manager arrested for ‘hoarding’ new Nigerian notes
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Kenyan school shaves off female students’ long hair
- Assayer in court over $18m gold scam