Professor S. E. Anku, President of Ghana Mathematics Society (GMS), has called on mathematics teachers to make its teaching more lively to enable students enjoy learning it.
He urged mathematics teachers to demonstrate the connection of mathematics to every facet of life to remove the myth surrounding its learning in the country.
Prof. Anku made the call at an Eastern Regional Mathematics Seminar organised by GMS for mathematics teachers in the region in Koforidua on Friday.
He said Ghana required mathematics to support national development and explained that, mathematics would ensure the efficiency of science and technology.
“The inability to apply science to the development of the country would make it remain a developing country, “he said.
Mr Raphael Nyadzi, Eastern Regional Planning Officer, called on members of GMS to make the teaching of mathematics more practical and interesting for students to enjoy learning it.
Mr Samuel M. Appiah, of the Eastern Regional Directorate of Ghana Education Service (GES), attributed the abysmal performance of students in mathematics to the teaching methods by some mathematics teachers especially at the basic level.
He said post secondary teacher training colleges in the country did not train teachers to come out to teach mathematics because students from the colleges come out as general teachers.
Mr Appiah therefore, called for the introduction of incentives to mathematics teachers to motivate them to increase productivity while GES embarked on intensive in-service training courses for mathematics teachers to upgrade their competence and knowledge in the subject.
He called for the provision of mathematics journals and magazines in school libraries and staff common rooms.
- Nigerian jailbreakers re-arrested in Ghana after crossing Volta River
- I asked Akufo-Addo to forgive me for opposing Bawumia as running mate – Ama Busia
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- 12 leading clubs confirm formation and format for breakaway Super League
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
- ‘A tenant may be evicted for a month’s arrears’ – Rent Control
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- Second dose of Covid-19 vaccine can be taken 4 weeks after the deadline stated – GHS
GHS discards over 500 expired vaccines due to low patronage in some regions
Fire razes over 30 shops at Kumasi Central Market
Afienya, Ashaiman, Katamanso and other areas in Accra to have interrupted supply – Water Company
2 drug traffickers excrete 191 pellets of cocaine, heroin at Nigerian airport
Japan Motors launches New Nissan Sunny in Ghana
Security man in trouble for allegedly defiling 4-year-old girl
NIC commends Allianz Insurance and UBA on bancassurance partnership
WHO data shows taking vaccines 12 weeks after first dose more potent – Dr Kwame Amponsah-Achiano
Landlords who demand over 6 months rent advance from tenants could be jailed – Rent Control
2021 global food policy report: Rebuilding food systems after Covid-19
Dr Theresa Mannah-Blankson and Haruna Alhassan: Ghana’s post-pandemic Eurobond ‘success’
eTranzact secures Enhanced PSP license from BoG
Man remanded for defiling 3-year-old girl
Linda Dor stopover becomes hell for passengers as thieves raid VIP bus
Government interest costs on domestic borrowings fall again; T-Bills target also drops 6.6%