The Duchess of Sussex has said Buckingham Palace could not expect her and Prince Harry to be silent if it was “perpetuating falsehoods about us”.
In a clip of Oprah Winfrey’s interview with the couple, Meghan had been asked how she felt about the palace hearing her “speak your truth today”.
Meghan also said: “If that comes with risk of losing things, I mean… there is a lot that has been lost already.”
Buckingham Palace is investigating claims the duchess bullied royal staff.
The interview with Winfrey, which will air in the US on Sunday and the UK on Monday, is expected to detail Harry and Meghan’s short period as working royals together before they stepped down for a life in the US.
In the 30-second teaser clip, Winfrey asks the duchess: “How do you feel about the palace hearing you speak your truth today?”
Meghan replies: “I don’t know how they could expect that, after all of this time, we would still just be silent if there is an active role that The Firm is playing in perpetuating falsehoods about us.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex quit their roles as senior working royals in March 2020, and now live in California.
‘Attack on her character’
A report in the Times newspaper on Wednesday claimed the duchess faced a bullying complaint when she was a working royal.
According to the story, the complaint was made in October 2018, while the duke and duchess were living at Kensington Palace after their marriage in May of that year.
A leaked email sent from a staff member, which was published by the newspaper, alleges that Meghan drove two personal assistants out of the household. The report claims she undermined the confidence of a third member of staff.
In a statement, Buckingham Palace – which is responsible for the hiring of royal staff – said it was “clearly very concerned about allegations in the Times” and its HR team would look into the circumstances outlined in the article.
“The Royal Household has had a Dignity at Work policy in place for a number of years and does not and will not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace.”
Past and present royal employees are to be invited to speak in confidence about their experiences of working for Meghan as part of the investigation.
An earlier statement issued by Meghan’s spokesman in response to the newspaper’s story said: “The duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma.
“She is determined to continue her work building compassion around the world and will keep striving to set an example for doing what is right and doing what is good.”
Prince Harry has previously said the decision to step back was in order to protect himself and his family from the press.
Last month, it was announced the couple would not return as working members of the Royal Family.
Meghan and Prince Harry’s TV interview with Oprah Winfrey will be aired on CBS in the US on the evening of Sunday 7 March.
In the UK, the interview will be screened on ITV at 21:00 GMT on Monday 8 March.
CBS has said Meghan will be interviewed about “stepping into life as a royal, marriage, motherhood” and “how she is handling life under intense public pressure”.
She will then be joined by Prince Harry, and the couple will speak about their move to the US last year and their future plans.
In an earlier clip released by CBS, the Duke of Sussex drew parallels between the treatment of his late mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, and Meghan.
- New Land Law: Chiefs will now be held accountable for sale of lands – Kwame Gyan
- BBC flooded with complaints over Prince Philip coverage
- Land guards can now be convicted for at least 5 years – Kwame Gyan
- It’s more dangerous for chiefs to sell land and pocket proceeds under new Land Law – Kwame Gyan
- Women no longer required to come along with a man to acquire land – Kwame Gyan
- Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu’s tribal comment distasteful – F.F. Anto
- Prince Philip had a positive impact on Ghana – Akufo-Addo
- Playback: Newsfile focuses on new Land Act
- Take Covid-19 seriously – WHO warns Ghanaians again
- We’ve become too corrupt as a country that nobody accepts that you can do something genuinely – Joe Osei Owusu
Luv FM collects over 100 pints of blood for KATH Blood Bank
We’ve become too corrupt as a country that nobody accepts that you can do something genuinely – Joe Osei Owusu
New Land Law: Government has 6 months to decide how to use vested lands
Real Madrid go top of La Liga with narrow win over Barcelona in El Clasico
Hearts of Oak suffer first defeat under coach Samuel Boadu
Ghana to fully benefit from land reforms in 20 years – Kwame Gyan
Basis for media censorship must be clarified – Jesse Agyepong
Soldiers, police deployed to Chereponi following chieftaincy dispute
Liverpool score late winner to beat Aston Villa
Ayew scores to equal record as Swansea win
Ten-man Leeds beat Premier League leaders Man City
Bayern’s Bundesliga lead cut to five points after draw
What it means to be an ‘emotionally strong woman’ in relationships
Greek journalist shot dead on the street in Athens
Women no longer required to come along with a man to acquire land – Kwame Gyan