Alvaro Morata’s late goal helped Spain qualify for the 2022 World Cup and consigned Sweden to the play-offs.
Sweden goalkeeper Robin Olsen tipped Dani Olmo’s shot on to the crossbar with Morata on hand to tap the ball in after 86 minutes.
Luis Enrique’s side needed just a point to top Group B while Sweden needed to win to finish above their opponents.
The result means Spain have qualified for a 12th consecutive World Cup finals.
Sweden will have another chance to reach Qatar in the European play-offs in March.
Spain started the brighter with winger Pablo Sarabia curling an effort narrowly wide from 20 yards in the opening exchanges.
The visitors grew into the match and had a number of chances in the first half with forward Emil Forsberg twice going close to breaking the deadlock.
And Alexander Isak should have put Janne Andersson’s side in front when through on goal midway through the second period, but the forward snatched at his chance after capitalising on some lapsed defending.
Spain held on after taking a late lead and keep up their run of reaching every World Cup since 1974.
- ‘You’re yet to be confirmed’- Kyei Mensah-Bonsu tells Ato Forson in ‘clash’ over Assin North by-election
- Presidential staffer declares support for Alan Kyerematen
- We won’t withhold our approval of Chief Justice nominee – Minority backs Gertrude Torkornoo
- Midwife delivers baby in speeding commercial vehicle
- Nogokpo: ‘The energies of the land will act’ if Agyinasare defies 14-day ultimatum – Nogokpo spokesperson
- If you have God, you have everything, you lose God and lose everything –Justice Jones Dotse
- Assin North By-election: Who has the edge – An analysis
- EOCO declares 2 persons wanted for various crimes
- Work as a technocrat, don’t meddle in local politics – John Jinapor tells World Bank Country rep
- NSMQ 2023: 34 schools battle it out for Regional Qualifiers in Western Region
- GSE records slow performance in May 2023; Unilever, Fanmilk among big gainers
- EC member dragged to Supreme Court over alleged NPP affiliation
- Global growth to slow to 2.1% in 2023; prospects clouded by financial risks – World Bank
- Kenya to turn cult forest into a memorial site
- Rwanda genocide suspect unfit to stand trial, UN court rules
- Karim Benzema joins Saudi champions Al-Ittihad after Real Madrid exit
- Government sends proposal on debt restructuring to official creditors
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, June 7, 2023
- KGL Group champions Diaspora Inclusion at Ghana Investment and Opportunities Summit 2023
- Kejetia traders call for implementation of fire recommendations by local government
- Gyakye Quayson shouldn’t have offered himself for election in the first place – Kwaku Paintsil
- Car washer, 20 jailed 18 months for unlawful entry and stealing
- Man, unemployed sentenced 6 years for stealing
- Assin North MP case: Supreme Court veered off the real issue before them – Ayariga
- EC’s arguments defective in logic and betray Commission’s appreciation of elementary English – NDC